Wednesday, July 20, 2011

La Paz Is Wonderful as Always

La Paz has always been one of my favorite cities.  Before we got the boat, Mike and I had planned to come down here and live for six months after I retired.  It is well named as it is a really peaceful place.  I could stay forever!

Since we have been here, we got the bottom of the boat cleaned and the rest of it waxed and cleaned.  I don't think it has ever looked so good.  We got a new starter battery - the engine was at times being recalcitrant about starting but no more.  We are just waiting for Walt's girlfriend to show up and then in a few days after that we will head north in an attempt to avoid hurricanes.  There are so many beautiful anchorages to stop in - I think it will be hard to try and decide which ones to pick.  One could spend years here in the Sea of Cortez and not see it all. 

Walt and I got certified as open water scuba divers this week.  He of course took to it right away.  I had more difficulty - I already flunked training once back in the US.  This time I did it.  I have minor panic attacks with the gear on when I am out of the water, but once I am in the water I am fine.  We saw a moray eel (from a safe distance!) and incredibly beautiful fish.  Some of them were purple with bright yellow tails.  There were tiny tiny fish that poked their heads out of barnacle shells.  We saw garden eels - they stick their tales in the ground and then stand up like plants, fooling the other creatures who then get eaten.  We also dove near a sea lion rookery.  The sea lions in that area are used to people, so they approach you like dogs approach - they sniff your outstretched hand.  It was amazing - which is a word I over use but everything really is amazing.  Mike got a speargun, so I am expecting many good fish dinners from it.  I am so glad I passed the certification - it has opened up a new world.  You can hover and you can fly and breathe underwater.  Even though the equipment costs a small fortune, it is worth every cent.  I can hardly wait to go again.

It is really hot here - but I seem to be getting used to it.  Mike and I were crowing because the cabin temperature was "only 90" (it was over 100 outside) and we considered that pretty comfortable.  If my house had ever gotten that hot, I would have moved to an air conditioned hotel until the weather changed.  When it is in the 80s in the cabin, we are more than delighted.  Right now because we are in a marina with shore power, we have air conditioning (we got a window unit that we fit through the companion way hatch), but it uses too much power to just run it off the batteries.  However, we do have a portable generator that we could power it with if it is just too unbearable, but we plan not to do that.  If I can acclimate to this heat, anyone can.  I am the biggest heat wimp that was ever born.  Now I can actually keep on trucking even with big drops of sweat pouring off me.

Here is Mike in a sea cave.


Here is our anchorage at a place called Caleta Partida.  It is right between two islands - Isla Espiritu Santos and Isla Partida.

And as I have noted before, we had these incredible places to ourselves.  

Here is a sunset at sea.


Here is the Jack Cravalle Walt caught.  We had fajitas. chili, and steaks out of it, even though it is not considered edible by many people.  The Mexicans eat it and told us some techniques to improve the flavor, which we will try if we catch another one or if we catch a skipjack (same issues) AND do not get any dorado or tuna.  


Here is another sunset - this one at achorage.

 

So - today we all have a day off - no serious chores - and we pick the girlfriend up from the airport late tonight.  Tomorrow Mike and I are planning to drive to Los Cabos in an attempt to find an underwater camera and some more scuba gear.  Another couple of days here, and then we are off to the Sea.  All three of us really want to get back underway.  After all, this is a sailboat, not a floating condo.  And we are sailors.  And sailors sail.  That about sums it up.

1 comment: