Friday, July 8, 2011

Killing Flies

I have gotten to be very good at this. My nephew taught me how to do it after telling me he had not missed a fly with this technique since he was 12 years old. I have watched him and I am a true believer. I can do it now. It is much more effective than chasing them around with a fly swatter. We do have screens, but screens impair the air flow into the cabin, and when it gets hot and still starting at about 10 am, you will want to get every single bit of air circulating in the cabin that you can. When there is enough wind that the screens don't affect the flow, there aren't any bugs.

Right now it is 96 degrees outside and 89 here in the cabin. We think we have really scored a coup if the cabin can stay below 90 in the day, and something tells me that will not happen today because it is only 11:21 am and will only get hotter outside as the day progresses.

Mike and Walt have gone out fishing. Yesterday some fishermen from a tiny fish camp nearby came to the boat and traded us a baseball cap, two t-shirts, some fresh water, adn a bottle of shampoo for some excellent filets. I poached half of them yesterday, and will do the same tonight with the rest of them - EXCEPT for the fact I have no more white wine for poaching, so I am going to try it with red wine. Wish me luck. I have also learned on this trip to enjoy chilled white wine on hot summer nights. If I had known how good it was earlier, I would have laid in a lot more white wine. As it is, our wine cellar (a bilge compartment)is almost empty. There is only one more ballena (large bottle) of beer left. Anyway, the same fishermen came by today and got water and packages of gatoraid mix. They don't want money, they want stuff. I want to make a deal with them to take away our bags of garbage in exchange for whatever we can agree on. They wanted candy and soda, but we didn't have any. They also asked for tortillas - we didn't have any, but I will gladly agree to make them some if they take away my garbage.

I just finished doing laundry. That is an interesting chore here. We have mostly kitchen rags, t-shirts, and towels, but it is amazing how many of those there are and how often they need to be washed. I used a LOT more throw-away stuff when I lived on land and even in the marina. Mike likes to just take the stuff, put it in a mesh bag, and hang it over the side of the boat for two days, then rinse it in fresh water and let stuff dry. That sort of works most times, but sometimes the laundry does not smell fresh. Today I washed some things in the sink in fresh water and laundry soap, which took forever. I am looking forward to laundry service when we get to La Paz. I am going to wash everything I have worn.

When I look out over the water from our anchored boat, I can see lots and lots of sting rays, jumping out of the water and flapping their bat-wing like fins. They look like they are having fun. I hope they aren't jumping because they are being chased. The other night MIke and I saw an army of little fish fly out of the water en masse and were immediately followed by a huge bass. We took our dinghy along some sea cliffs and saw an amazing selection of fish and other marine life. We have also seen sharks.

My nephew told me "I am so done with seals. Fish stealing shark bait." He is really really funny, and has had Mike and I laughing hysterically. Plus he has good taste in music. And books. And he is smart and is already head and shoulders above me in how to deal with some of the technical stuff on this boat. I am reading a book called "Living on 12 Volts with Ample Power." If you have any questions about how a lead acid battery works, just ask me. Right now I am on alternators. It is slow going.

Our current plans are to work our way to La Paz so we can get stuff done before the girlfriend gets here on the 20th. Our plans redefine the term "fluid", so we'll see what happens. We do like this anchorage, and if the fishing is successful, Mike and Walt may never want to leave.

I am looking forward to being in touch again, but I am also sort of happy being in blissful ignorance of whatever may be going on outside of my boat here in the Sea of Cortez. I hope everyone has a great day!

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

1 comment:

  1. I hate killing flies this way. I don't like getting fly guts on my hands. But it is a fun party trick. And you don't miss.

    ReplyDelete