Sunday, June 5, 2011

We killed a bird . . .

or at least Mike did.  I felt real bad about it, but I had a feeling something like this was going to happen.  You see, we allowed a pair of what we think are martins to make their nest in our boom, which is covered with a furled sail and a sail cover.  We hoped that the babies would be gone by the time we decided to sail Magda Jean.  Well, yesterday, Mike found a freshly born baby bird on the deck.  It didn't even have feathers yet, and I don't know how to care for baby birds. It was just lying there.  Mike said birds sometimes push runty ones out of the nest.  So he finished it off rather than let it lie there.  I am glad I did not have to be there to see it.  We should not have let them nest there.  Another bad thing - I saw and killed a roach this morning.  Yuck!  Now I have to research getting rid of roaches in a space like this.  Great way to start the morning!

Otherwise - things are fine here.  My nephew, Walt, will be here in a few days - then we will head up into the Sea of Cortez for the long hot summer - but it is a dry heat, not humid like here.  More desert-y.  Warm, clear water.  Dorado.  Lots of good things.  We are also starting to look towards next year -     do we turn left or right at the Panama canal?  Europe or Tahiti?  They both have a strong pull.  I think the only thing we know for sure is that we want to spend most of the winter in Costa Rica.

I know this is a totally boring post, but I am sort of focused on getting rid of the roaches before I see more.  There are always more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment