Monday, May 30, 2011

Actually, an old one

I found a post I wrote in January, on the way to Santa Maria Cove from Bahia Tortuga.  I was on watch, and wrote it out on longhand because I couldn't deal with the computer on deck.  I had planned to transcribe it, but I lost it and just found it.  So here is an OLD entry.

1-27-2011, 8:47 am
I am on watch and writing this in longhand because I am still afraid to have the computer in the cockpit when I am alone.  There are times when things in the cockpit go flying about - even in calm conditions.  If I broke the computer, I'd be really upset.  And since my hands aren't broken - here goes!  I will transcribe it later.

It is in the 70s (I think) with clouds but comfortable.  Winds are slow, we're going only 1-2 knots and the sails are beginning to slat around.  I have learned to hate that.  I'd almost prefer to be reefed down, going 7 knots, worried about heeling over too much.  Famous last words, of course.

Mike is asleep - for maybe an hour, he keeps waking up.  Now those slatting sails will wake him.  Getting enough sleep in him on these multi-day passages is hard - like all good control freaks, he doesn't trust anyone but himself.  And truthfully he is a much better sailor than I am and there are plenty of things I can't handle alone, or maybe even recognize as a problem until too late.  So it isn't entirely unreasonable on his part to supervise closely.

But - I have improved by the proverbal leaps and bounds since we left San Diego.  The trip from SD to Ensenada was almost traumatic to me - mostly because the seasickness rendered me almost useless.  But when the boat flooded I rallied and was able to manually empty the bilge.  I said to myself "Yes, you feel like death but you will not die from this.  Worse case scenario (I always use this approach) is that I puke all over myself and this already wet cabin floor.  We will all survive that."  And so I pumped.  After we got to Ensenada, I found myself surprizingly shook up and discombobulated.  I knew we were never in any real danger, but I was really worried that I would never be able to pull my weight; that I would continue to have problems being seasick, therefore useless and an albatross around Mike's neck.  (Aside : we are just ghosting along, minor slatting, epitome of peace.)  I truly worried about this and was not too disappointed when we had to stay in Ensenada for that six weeks.  It took me that long for me to become eager to get going and try again.  Plus I had some new seasick remedies to try.

So comes the time to leave Ensenada.  I took my Stugeron Forte which worked so well - better than dramamine because you can take it later (I took it as we cast off) and it does not make you sleepy.  Truth be told, I felt a bit of a buzz. 

The trip between Ensenada and Bahia Tortuga was everything the previous trip was not.  I did not get sick - I fixed meals - stood watches - Mike got more sleep - and my confidence came  back.  Maybe I can't sail the boat alone, but I can handle things and Mike decided I would be able to identify any emergencies requiring assistance.

So then we learned to live at anchor.  We spent 10 days in Bahia Tortuga - most people are in and out on their way elsewhere.  We had a great time!  I fixed meals on the boat, we learned to handle our power situation, and were astonished to discover how water we use!  RIght away I began new dishwashing techniques - most of the water is used for food prep and dish washing.  We went to bed early - nothing to do at night - and got up with first light.  If we slept til 7, it was like sleeping til noon.  People were friendly and I got to practice my Spanish every day.

Now we are in the middle of our next leg - heading towards Bahia Magdalena.  We plan to anchor at Santa Maria Cove, which is just outside the bay itself.  I have no idea how long we will stay.  While in Bahia Tortuga, we spent less than $200, which included topping off the fuel tanks and getting about 50 gallons of water.  We didn't eat out because the food in the only two restaurants was not very good.  We had better luck shopping in the tiny stores and getting beef, chicken, and sausage - none of it packaged - the sausage was obviously homemade and came tied in little plastic bags.  Not even zip lock!  But it was the best chorizo ever.

I can't believe how much I have improved.  I was eager to start this trip.  So far I have done a fair amount of sail handling alone in the cockpit.  That was unfathomable only last month.  I used to feel panicky if Mike even left the cockpit to use the bathroom.  Now I look forward to sailing her alone, trimming the sails, adjusting the course for better wind, all good things.  This might not sound like a huge big deal to anyone else, but it is to me.  Deep down inside, I'd like to be a single hander.  Not likely to ever happen, but I feel now like maybe if I really wanted to, I could handle something like that.

Of course, now the wind has almost completely died.  We are still doing 1 knot in the right direction because of the current.  If the sails continue to slat around too much, I will sheet them in and even furl the jib.  Since we haven't yet learned to set a spinnaker, we just have to deal with this.

Here is where that post ends.  It seems strange to read it now, like it happened a lifetime ago.  With the new watermaker, no more problems using too much water.  Mike is even rigging a system where we can use our own fresh water to wash down the outside of the boat - it gets very salty and that is hard on the equipment.  Plus we can wash ourselves down and not have to use the indoor shower.  Hot water for showers is not an issue - I have not taken a hot shower in weeks, because the weather is too hot and a cool shower feels better. 

My nephew will be here June 10, and after he gets here we will be leaving Mazatlan to spend the summer in the Sea of Cortez.  We plan to be at anchor for at least a month in the islands off La Paz.  Then we will sail north for awesome fishing, diving, swimming, etc.  Walt and I will get our scuba certifications when we head to La Paz for reprovisioning prior to heading further north.  Things have been wonderful here in Mazatlan, and although I think I could stay here forever - it is time to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment