Monday, October 11, 2010

Home again, home again, jiggedty jig

We made it back okay but not without missing the dogs terribly.  We now have absolutely no structure to our lives.  None at all.  When the jobs ended, that was pretty amazing, but we still had the responsibility to walk, feed, and otherwise care for the dogs.  No more.  I believe they are happy and being very well  cared for.  Sophie will no longer be subjected to seasickness.  Tempest no longer endangers her life and limbs everytime she negotiates the cockpit to cabin route.  There is no more dog fur all over the settees.  We can leave our door open at night and no dogs get in bed with us and take over all the room.  And it is not the same and I miss them very much. 

The Baja Ha Ha (the rally we planned to go to Mexico with) is in exactly 15 days and I don't think we will be ready.  Besides lots of things to get done, there is the issue of Mike's left hand.  I have not mentioned this before, but back in July, in the early stages of boat upgrades when Mike was doing a tremendous amount of physical labor, he hurt his left hand.  We had these braces I had to use for carpal tunnel-type problems, and I had him put that on while he slept, as the pain kept him from sleeping.  Of course he refused to go to the doctor - insisting it felt better - but it has not gotten better and he finally agreed to go.  Whatever happens with that (I am afraid he has broken it and it will have to be re-broken and whatnot) will determine when we can leave.  I am in favor of going down to Ensenada and living there while the hand heals - there is an express bus that takes expats (mainly) to and from San Diego regularly.  That way he could make doctor appointments.  I really want to get moving.

I have had mixed feelings about the rally for a long time, anyway.  On the one hand, it looks to be a lot of fun.  A woman with the same sort of boat we have has already emailed me.  There are parties and stuff like that.  Even a baseball game.  (Which of course I will pass on as I am the worst ball player in the world and all my teammates eventually end up hating me - do not ever believe ANYONE who tells you "Oh come on, its just for fun."  It never really is, and when you cause your team to lose, the ones who were only playing for "fun"  become frustrated and eventually angry.)  We would get to meet a lot of people, people who have a lot in common with us.  There are so many reasons why it would be fun.

Then you have to stack that up against the fact Mike and I are not exactly group activity people.  We just aren't.  I would not say Mike is anti-social, but he doesn't warm up to people very quickly, and in fact does not like most people because he thinks they are either stupid, republican, or both.  I like being social, but I am lazy about it.  Plus Mike does not like following rules.  And there would be rules to follow, like calling in on the radio at the proper times, and following the schedule, and stuff like that.  I just don't know.  Plus  from my side - I always feel like the biker chick of the group when I am with people my own age.  But that is another story for another day.         

New topic.  Since we no longer have TV, we are not up on the news as well as we used to be.  The main source for our news is NPR.  In a way it bothers me some,  because I feel like it is my civic duty to pay attention to this stuff.  But it is refreshing not to hear all that crap all the time.  I am really tired of it all.  I am an American and proud to be so.  But at the same time, some of (it seems like a lot of) the people here are simply becoming mean.  I don't want to spend the rest of my short life listening to people say hateful things.  It is almost as though selfishness and meaness and being judgmental are suddenly considered virtues.  When did this happen?  When did "Christians" start supporting the likes of Fred Phelps?  Why can't we just pull all our troops out of Afghanistan and let those chips fall where they inevitably will?  Why are our children dying for a people and a culture that despises them and us?  What are we getting out of all this?

Well, I had better end this now.  There are things to do - maybe a morning walk that could turn into a morning run eventually?  I am getting fat . . .    

No comments:

Post a Comment