Monday, April 9, 2012

Why I Came Here

With all the complaining I have been doing lately about how I am eager to get moving, yesterday was a reminder of why I am actually in Mexico.

We went to the beach for the first time in a long time, since Mike was not thinking it was a good idea for him to be in ocean water while he was healing up.  (My mom always said ocean water was good for wounds but then he said a lot of things.)  So we decided to go - clear, refreshing water, golden sand, lots of kids playing around to entertain us - and two guys off by the cliffs diving for and shucking oysters, then  selling them to us on a plate with frresh limes and hot sauce.  They were unbelievably delicious.  (The guys wer cute but I am talking about the oysters.)  They tasted just like the ocean smells at its freshest.  Not a hint of fishiness.  Not too briny.  Just amazing.  Then we came back to the boat and Mike whipped up a black bean and vegetable stew that was fabulous.  All in all, what a wonderful day.

We are still on track to leave Thursday or Friday, unless things change with the weather report.  Everything is pretty well set - we just need to do some shopping for groceries and a few odds and ends. 

The violet swallows have returned and are again trying to build their nest under my solar panels.  This will not do!  I have to get rid of it before they lay eggs and then I hve something bad on my conscience.  I think I might have to lay a towel over the TINY entrance they go into.  We have started calling them "violent" swallows.  Don't get me wrong - I love those pretty little birds, but under the solar panels is in no way an appropriate place for them to live and raise their children.  I salute their propensity for eatng mosquitos at dusk, but they have to live somewhere else.

This morning I got up and went outside to drop off the laundry on the deck for the laundry lady to pick up.  I stood there for a while, just looking at everything here in the marina.  It was really quiet, as the guys who clean and fuss over the megayachts everyday weren't here yet with their radios, and the water was still with hardly any surge.  I could see fish swimming around just under the surface, and birds diving to catch them.  The swallows were dive bombing me because I was invading their space.  A big spotted puffer fish was swimming along the side of the pier, eating whatever crap it is that  they eat.  The birds were all calling out to each other, and jockeying for the best pier position.  I just stood there, taking it all in and being really grateful just to be here. 

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."  (Oscar Wilde)   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment