Friday, April 6, 2012

So Far, So Good

No problems with the fridge, I am happy to report.  We have cold beer and ice and last night on the way home from dinner out, we talked about how nice it was to walk to town and back since we didn't have to drag two huge bags of ice home in a cab.  So now we are focused on getting out of here.

Yesterday we washed the boat down, and scrubbed off all the accumulated bird poop.  We made an unpleasant discovery - the violet swallows were building a nest right under the solar panels.  I had been wondering why I kept seeing pieces of weeds and grass lying on the deck.   I love birds, and these little birds are wonderful, but we had a bad experience when we allowed some of these guys to nest in our uncovered mainsail last year in Mazatlan.  Aside from making a big mess, we couldn't leave when we wanted to because we felt bad about disturbing the eggs.  After all, we knew they were there and pretty much allowed it to happen, so we had to deal with the consequences.  And the consequences were bad for everyone - we kept finding dead baby birds (that looked very embryonic) on the deck.  Mike thinks it got too hot under the sail.   So this time we made sure there was no place for them - guess again.  Honestly, there is barely enough room under those panels for me to stick my hand.  We never dreamed they wouold consider that as an appropriate place to raise their babies.  But luckily when we lifted the panel up, we discovered they were only collecting materials and had not even finished the nest, let alone lay any eggs.  So we washed the area clean with the hose, although it was not pleasent because the birds were sort of dive bombing us and complaining loudly.  Still, I hope I did them a favor and hopefully they will find more congenial nesting grounds than underneath our solar panels.

It is Easter week - or Semana Santa as they call it here.  We had no idea, since I really don't celebrate Easter.  (I don't like jelly beans or other Easter candy, no kids to make baskets for, I don't go to church, and I don't like ham and scalloped potatoes, which was the standard Easter fare when I was growing up.  I am not disrespecting Easter in any way, so don't be mad at me.)  Anyway, we figured it out when we were surprised to find the beach and the town itself absolutely packed with tourists.  Semana Santa is possibly the biggest vacation period in Mexico - everybody goes somewhere, especially to the beach.  All the hotels are full, the shops are crowded, and everyone is having a great time.  There are these guys on the beach selling things, and one of the things they sell are temporary tattoos.  There was the little kid at the table next to us (yes, a restaurant right on the beach) who had one on his arm of a scorpion.  He must have been about six, and spent a great deal of time standing by us flexing his arm, to make sure we saw his new tattoo.  We admired it profusely and he was very happy.  One thing about being here is that you rarely ever see a bratty kid.  I mean of course I have seen crying babies and fussy toddlers - that is just what they do, anywhere in the world.  But you never see kids having tantrums, whining to beat the band, or generally being obnoxious in public.  And you see kids out and about everywhere, even at night, with their parents.  They aren't little robots - they run and play and yell, but never in an annoying, inappropriate way.  And the teenagers are the same way - even when they look like little thugs, they are polite and never obnoxious.  They grab up their skateboards before  you have to jump into the street to avoid getting run down.  They clear the sidewalk when someone approaches when they are walking four abreast.  It is really impressive.   Mike and I were talking last night about how many things we love about Mexico and how we are going to miss it.  I am looking forward to seeing and learning new things, but I really love it here and am having a hard time saying adios.  I will instead say "Hasta La Vista" (until I see you) or "Hasta Luego" (see you later). 

Otherwise, nothing to report.  We have to clean out the vee berth today and I am not looking forward to it.   "Clean" is not really the right word - it isn't dirty, but we have thrown a lot of stuff back there that now has to be straightened out and stowed away properly.  We saved our old solar panels because they can be used by some people in El Salvador, people who live on an island near where we are going who have no power at all.  (The old panels work still, we just bought bigger and stronger ones.)  The rally organizers suggested we bring them, so we did.  Then there is all the other stuff that just sort of accumulates there - like parts for the old fridge that still work, and some other things I am hoping Mike will decide to get rid of.  But truthfully, this is a chore I always dread and it always ends up being really easy and quick.  I don't mind cleaning, but I hate picking up.  And I hate vacuming.  Luckily I did that yesterday.  We have a big, annoying shop vac that we use when we have shore power or when the engine is running f we are anchored.  I have to admit it does a good job, but it takes up a lot of room.  Then all we really need to do is to batten everything down (a 20 minute task that I have down pat) and get our final load of provisions. 

We also cleaned the dinghy bottom and stowed it yesterday.  I was happily surprised to  discover that the bottom was not covered with hard to scrape off barnacles.  It required some scrubbing and a bit of scraping, but it has been a lot worse, believe me.  And the other task we accomplished was to take the fenders up and clean them off as well.  We forgot to do this one time - and when we took off and pulled them up, we discovered the part that hangs in the water was covered with barnacles and other sea matter.  We had to leave them on deck for most of the journey instead of stowing them in the vee berth because they smelled very bad, since we couldn't really clean them properly while underway.   I have seen these stainless steel basket type things you can hang on the rails so the fenders do not have to be stored below.  I want some.  Mike thinks it would work,  but I have never seen any for sale down here, and they would be bulky to try and carry home from the US. I bet Mike could fashion something - or perhaps I can learn some macrame skills and make some out of rope.  It would be nice not to have them taking up space below decks while underway or at anchor.  Space is always at a premium on Magda Jean!

So that is all for today.  Mike is going to check the weather today and we will find out when we get to leave.  Keep a good thought for me - that the Bay of Tehuantepec will be calm all next week!

"He who rejects change is the architect of decay.  The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetary."  Harold Wilson       

No comments:

Post a Comment