Thursday, April 5, 2012

The New Refrigerater is In!

Yup, it is true.  After working on it all day yesterday, Mike completed the installation.  We still had to do some things we didn't have the equipment for, so I called Senor Emilio, who fixes fridges.  (OK, now that it is fixed I will spell it right.)  This is not as simple as it sounds, because Senor Emilio does not speak English.  And while my Spanish has gotten a lot better, technical stuff is difficult and not in always in the dictionary.  So anyway, I looked up the words I hoped would suffice and wrote down what I hoped would be sufficient - talk of charging and vacuming and what kind of freon was needed.  Senor Emilio said he would be at the boat in a couple of hours and lo and behold when he showed up, he had understood me perfectly as he had everything we needed!  The new fridge is now getting cold and everything seems fine.  I hope Mike does not wake up and decide there is a problem, but I supposed anything is possible.  Senor Emilio told us the installation was fine, but the proof will be if it is getting cold enough and cycling on and off correctly.  It seems fine to me this morning, but what do I know?

Anyway, this means we can start getting ready to leave.  It only takes a couple of days to get the boat ready to go, (as I recited as nauseum yesterday) and a day to deal with clearing out of the country.  And of course the weather has to be right as we are going to cross the dreaded Bay of Tehuatepec.  It is supposed to be calming down this time of year, but we don't want to take chances and get the crap beat out of us at best, or have a problem at worst. 

So now - I do have a chore to do - I have to go shopping.  We got Mike's mom a necklace and she wants earrings to go with it.  And I would like a few things myself.  Mike needs new shorts and bathing trunks.  And we have a lot of pesos that need to be used up as El Salvador uses US dollars as currency.

Last night I dreamed I was back in the US visiting.  I went to a class for someone who couldn't be there, and my best friend Sue was in the class.  I decided I was being disruptive in class (just talking and getting everyone else talking and not doing any classwork), so I figured I better leave.  I went outside and get ready to get on a bus, but then realized I had only pesos and no US money for the bus.  A guy tried to give me a ten dollar bill, but I told him that was too much and I couldn't accept it.  So I started looking for a bank.  It took forever, walking up and down the streets.  I finally found one, and the counters were so high I had to jump up to see when a teller was available.  It was at that point I realized I had left my shoes in class and would have to go back and get them.  I finally got some money changed, and went to find my shoes.  But as I was wwalking back to the school, I realized I had no pants on either.  I kept trying to pull my shirt and suit jacket down (I had been dressed as if for court, where I was in an early part of the dream).  The pople at the school  said they had seen my clothes and shoes but we couldn't find them.  I noticed that no one seemed concerned that I had no pants on, so I decided to ignore it.  It went on for a while in that same vein.  It wasn't a bad dream at all, just strange.  It is also one of many dreams in which I lose my shoes.  I wonder why that is?  I love shoes.

Well, I had better get going.  Hopefully I will be back to travel soon, and won't have to bore everyone with my dreams.  But they are very real to me.  It is like I have two lives - one that goes on while I am awake, and another that goes on while I am asleep. Thank goodness I still know the difference.

"Cruising has two pleasures.  One is to go out in wider waters from a sheltered place.  The other is to go into a sheltered place from wider waters."  Howard Bloomfield   

No comments:

Post a Comment