Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sorry, Nothing New

Well, except for the fact Mike is getting better.  He had lost faith in his original doctor, so we went for a second opinion (as to how the healing was going) to a new doctor, one who has an office at one of the big resorts here.  This doctor spoke better English, which made it easier, because then Mike could answer the questions without me having to translate.  (Except for Mike's tendency to ignore the call of the question and tell the doctor what he thought the doctor should know, rather than what was being asked.  Mike would be a nightmare on the witness stand).  This doctor was very thorough, and ended up prescribing a different antibiotic and ointment, all of which were way more expensive than the first batch, wihch hopefully means they are better and stronger.  But Mike feels better with this doctor, and if he feels better, I feel better.  I just want this over with, it has been hard on him. 

Otherwise, except for daily trips to get ice and fresh produce (we are eating only fruits and veggies, except I get a roast chicken every couple of days) I never go anywhere and it is driving me nuts.  Mike went with me to the store yesterday, after making sure I did not need a break from him.  It is not him I need a break from, it is the boat itself.  I really need to get out and do something, see something different, hear different things, just some sort of a change.  I am dying to get the hell out of Dodge.  This place is sort of a way station for cruisers - we all stop here on our way to and from Central America.  It used to be this was the last stop in Mexico, but recently Port Chiapas, just the other side of the Bay of Tehuatepec, started to make it easier for cruisers to check in and out of Mexico.  But it is a new process for them, and there are still some bugs in it, like taking all day to get the paperwork processed because customs, immigration, and the Port Captain are all located in different places.  Here, everyone is real close together, so it is easier and quicker.  You do have to make an appointment for customs to come to your boat, but the marina boss arranges it, and they don't do much of an actual inspection.  Anyway, no one really spends much time here, so we are pretty much by ourselves, no friends to visit with.  I might as well just admit it, I am sort of lonesome.  I talk a bit with the local people, but it is not the same.  I just want to get Mike better so he can finish with the frig, and then we can leave for El Salvador where our friends are.  I am pretty sure we will miss all the rally activities, which is not a big deal, but I just want to get on with it.  It is like leading a half life - we won't be here long enough to involve myself with things like taking classes in language or cooking or yoga or something like that, but being here more than a few days gets, well, sort of boring.  It is a small town, and other than go out to eat, there is not a lot to do. Mike can't go to the beach, so that's out, and walking around sightseeing is also not an option for him, he is supposed to take it easy.  I could go out by myself, but that is not really so much fun. 

Geez, listen to this whining!  I better sit down with myself and give myself a good lecture about how easy I really have it.  After all, I could be having to get up and go to work.  Or doing a lot of unpleasent chores.  Or anything like that.   I am not depressed or anything, just - and I hate to admit this - bored out of my mind.   Maybe I should go out and get some embroidery floss or yarn and needles and start a project.  Or figure out how to use the dremel tool and make jewelry out of the shells I collected this summer for that very purpose.  Or start working on writing a book, something I have thought about doing ever since I was old enough to read.  So I guess I have enough to keep me busy and should therefore stop whining and get to it!

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that is not what a ship is for."  Unknown author

A ship is safe in harbor, but that is not what a ship is for. (Thanks Jon)
A ship is safe in harbor, but that is not what a ship is for. 

1 comment: