Saturday, March 24, 2012

Getting Better

Mike is doing much better, although this appears to be a slow healing process.  Our friends have already made it to El Salvador, and have filled us in on what a great place it is.  I can hardly wait.  Especially since the water is over 90 degrees!  And there are dollar beers and a pool!  And best of all our friends are there. 

There isn't a lot of news here, for the obvious reason.  But I have discovered jicama, a wonderful root vegetable that tastes like a cross between an apple and a potatoe.  We have been slicing them up and eating them with lime juice on them.  In fact, last night I had red and green bell peppers, cucumbers, and avocado with lime juice instead of salad dressing and it was delicious.  I didn't actually discover jicama - I have known about it for a long time - but I never tried to do much with it.  Again, a new culinary exploration in progress. 

So what else can I talk about here?  I finally managed to get my hands on a copy of the movie "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia."  It stars Warren Oates and I think Sam Peckinpah directed.  It was made about 30 years ago.  I heard about it when leafing through a book of movie reviews by Siskel and Ebert.  It is strange, violent at times, and wholly original.  Kris Kristofferson has a small role.  I have always had a really hard time finding it anywhere, and I have not met anyone except me who has ever heard of it.  But if you don't mind some violence, I highly recommend it.  Now its mine and I can watch it whenever I want to.  I guess now my job will be to hunt down "Bridge Over the River Kwai."  But in truth, the list could go on.  Because we have a TV set but can't really watch TV, we watch a lot of movies that are either on our computer or on CDs or on an external hard drive.   All of us cruisers have all sorts of movies on our computers, and we trade them around by transferring them from the computer to these little thumb drives or portable hard drives.  Then we share them.  I suppose that is breaking the law somehow, some sort of pirating law like downloading music.  I hope I never get in trouble for having these movies!

The other thing I can do to keep amused, especially while Mike is down for the count, is read, read read.  Of course I always did that, but never more so than now.  I don't read as much as I thought I would while we are underway - after all, there is a reason why it is called "watch."  You are supposed to be watching out for things, not reading.  But if it is a really uneventful watch, I can sometimes read with my red flashlight, so as not to ruin my night vision with regular light. 

Anyway, since there really isn't much to talk about until Mike gets better and we can finish the frig install, I will wind this up and not torture anyone needlessly with mindless chatter.  I can feel myself winding up with it now - so better sign off while I am still cogniazant of how boring I might actually get.  By the way, I apologise if my sogn off quote is a repeat - I try and cross them off if I have used them, and this one is not crossed off, but I have used a lot of Melville so anything is possible.  Besides I like this one, especially in times like this when religion is being used as an excuse to be mean.  The quote is copied exactly as I read it.

"But what is worship? - to do the will of God - THAT is worship.  And what is the will of God? - to do to my fellow man what I would have my fellow man do to me - THAT is the will of God."  Herman Melville  

No comments:

Post a Comment