Monday, January 9, 2012

Manzanillo . . . and The Living Is Easy

It is absolutely beautiful here and if I can get to a decent internet connection I will post pictures.  This anchorage is set right next to a beautiful resort named "Las Hadas" which means "The Fairies" and it does look like a fairyland.  The buildings are all white with red tiled roofs, and the units are stacked on top of each other built up on a big cliffside overlooking a rocky shoreline.  There are arches, and minerets, and all sort of architectural curiosities.  We get to tie up our dinghy and use the hotel facilities for a daily fee we can afford and is well worth it.  Being able to leave your dinghy in a secure location is a wonderful thing, to be sure.  The one real crime issue cruisers face in Mexico is outboard theft from dinghies, but it usually occurs at night when everyone is asleep and the dinghy, with its outboard mounted, is tied to the boat.  We do leave  the dinghy in the water at night, but bring the engine up and secure it to the cockpit rail.  We have an easy system for doing this, and we will not have to worry about losing our dinghy.  The thieves are only interested in the outboards - the stolen dinghies are usually found drifting about the anchorage with their outboards gone.

So what else is new with me?  Not a whole lot.  Yesterday was a day of resting.  Today we have already been to the dock, had a nice breakfast, replenished the on-board beer supply, and later may go over to the resort and use the pool.  Tomorrow I am going to use their laundremat and do my laundry - we can have  breakfast while doing so, or lounge by the pool.  Mike is not much of a pool lounger, though. 

After spending as much time as we have at the El Cid Resort and Marina in Mazatlan, I have decided that I could happily live in a hotel environment for ever.  If you play your cards right, you end up with a surrogate family.  Plus the amenities are always better than what you would get in an apartment complex, even a nice one.  So living in a resort marina may be how I end my days.

Well, I have to get going - I do have some things to do.  But here is something interesting.  I noted that we have new solar panels that are going gangbusters.  But get this - right now I am using the computer, charging the cell phone, and the freezer (our biggest single power draw) and still, the solar panel is adding amps while all this is going on!  Over 5 amp hours on  top of what is being used! 

"I was equal to gods, except for the mortal part."  Euripedes

No comments:

Post a Comment