Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Headin' South

Since the outboard is functioning, there is no reason to hang around other than waiting for the right weather.  The guy who does the weather on the cruisers net here told all of us thing morning that if we are eager to get out of here, we should do it tomorrow.  So we are thinking about that.  It means setting off with a big load of dirty laundry that we didn't get to take to town for washing today because it is really windy here in the anchorage.  Too windy for the dinghy ride to shore.  It could be done, but not without unnecessary discomfort.

I read a blog past written by a new friend of mine - she talked about stopping at an anchorage we passed up on our way here.  At the time I felt pressed - it was that La-Cruz-by-Christmas mantra I insisted on.  Now I really don't see what difference it would have made in the long run if we stopped there.  I have to learn not to impose unnecessary scheduling to our lives.  Anyway, my friend writes in such a way that I felt like I was actually there, looking at everything she saw, and hearing the jungle sounds she heard.  It was a great experience and I feel as though I have been there myself after all.

We are strongly considering leaving from here and going all the way to Manzanillo without stopping at the anchorages in between.  It is only 153 NM, so that is not bad and easily do-able.  It does mean we will be skipping some places I wanted to see.  On the other hand, I want to get south.  I want to get back to warm water.  Right now we are all over the map and have no idea what we really want.  I guess we should start sailing and see how things end up.

While I have been working overtime to try and make this blog always upbeat, I think it may be noticible that I am going through a rough patch right now and do not always feel really positive about things.  I am not going to spend my time here crying and fussing about my troubles, and actually writing here is excellent therapy and helps me focus on all the incredibly positive things I have in my life.  But I do think that sometimes gloom or plain old self-pity (not for any good reason!) or whatever feeling I am trying to mask creeps in, so I might as well acknowledge it.  But I doubt these feelings will last - they usually don't, and problems either work themselves out or get solved one way or another by a participant in the whole matter. 

Right now I am reading a biography of Cleopatra.  The actual writing leaves something to be desired, but it is pretty interesting.  I had no idea she was Macedonian rather than Egyption, and the only Ptolomaic ruler to learn and speak Egyptian. 

So that is all for now - I am curious how strong the wind is and plan to turn on the anemometer and check it.  I am guessing 15 knots.  "And this above all: to thine own self be true."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment