Wednesday, October 19, 2011

More Copper Canyon

We got back to Topolobampo the day before yesterday, and I am just getting around to updating the blog.  I wish I had been better about writing the posts at the time things happened - I know I am going to miss things.

The day after we were at the mission we got back on the train and went to a place called Posada Barrancas. Before we left, we toured some beautiful country looking out over the canyons. Again, the train ride was wonderful. We stayed at a place called the Mirador Hotel, which was carved out of a canyon wall. We enjoyed exploring the area.


We got to tour a Tarahumara village, and I bought some of the baskets they make and sell.



The next day we looked at a big lake, some interesting rock formations, another old Jesuit mission, a Tarahumara cave dwelling, and the town of Creel, which is very small and old, albeit sort of touristy.  But it was interesting to see how the people there live.  These Indians are famous for being endurance runners.  The canyons are riddled with paths, that are only wide enough for people and donkeys.  The people run and walk everywhere over these steep paths.  It was fascinating.  I would not have missed it for anything.

The next day we went across these huge canyons on a zip line.  I was absolutely terrified - you go across the canyons on a wire at what seems to be a million miles an hour.  There was a series of six lines - after you finished one, you hiked to the next one.  There were also two suspension bridges that were almost as scary as the line itself.  I was a failure - after I utterly failed to be able to slow myself as the line approached the end, I was told I had to ride with a guide.  I was terribly ashamed at not being able to do it myself, but truthfully I was terrified everytime I slammed to a stop, and with the guide, I was able to actually look around at the canyons more than 1000 feet below me instead of staring straight ahead scared to move one muscle.  I would definitely do it again.  But I can't remember being so scared ever in my life.

We spent the last night in a town called El Fuerte, which has a big old Spanish fort and a lot of colonial architecture, as well as a  beautiful river running through it.  Again, the hotel was lovely with that mission style I love so much.  I could spend years in Mexico and still just have scratched the surface.  It is full of history, wonderful people, different cultures and of course wonderful food.  In El Fuerte, I had crayfish that were from the river and were almost as big as lobsters.

Speaking of food, Mike is getting ready to make scampi out of the shrimp we bought today right off the shrimp boat.  I promised to chop garlic, so I had  better get going.  I feel pretty lucky these days!    






No comments:

Post a Comment