Friday, September 9, 2011

I Feel Better Today Even Though The Windlass Is Still Broken

I just can't stay that upset. It must seem like I am bipolar. But despite the broken windlass - still a tragedy especially for Mike - things seem better. The anchorage is really nice and we don't have to go anywhere for awhile, so we don't have to use the windlass. We spent the day today fishing, but caught only one bass too small to keep, a disappointment, but hey this is not the only time I have fished and caught nothing, the anchorage was full of dolphins and they took all the good fish. We also went diving for clams, and had great luck with that - we have a whole bag full that will be ready for eating tomorrow in clam spaghetti. We were told by another boat that there were a lot of clams at the beach near here, and that you could dig them up at low tide. We did not want to wait for low tide, so we just put on our snorkel gear and dove for them. I have finally gotten the hang of diving with a snorkel and blowing the water out afterwards so you can take a breath without having to snorkel. I love clams and am very excited to eat them. They are hanging off the side of the boat right now. We also spent quite a bit of time just snorkling. Mike took a lot of pictures and as soon as I have regular internet access I will post some of them.

Last night I had a really complicated dream, a big part of which was me walking through downtown San Diego and realizing I could not remember where I lived. Not just that I couldn't remember how to get there - I could not remember where I lived. I knew I lived somewhere, but that was the extent of it. I knew I had forgotten. I even commented to myself in the dream "What is this, the onset of Alzeimer's?" It was like if you parked your car somewhere and then forgot what kind of car you drove. It was really weird, one of the strangest dreams I have ever had. Maybe I dreamed it because I don't live anywhere anymore, only where the boat is. There was a lot more to the dream, but that was the strangest part.

There really isn't too much more to report. I just wanted to let you all know that I was in better spirits. We are planning to spend pretty much the rest of the month around here, then head the 140 miles or so to Puerto Penasco and then by bus to the US to get a new windlass to bring it back. And then back by bus. Puerto Penasco is about 60 miles from Mexicali/Calexico (I think) so it should be easy to get buses. The windlass will be heavy, but nowhere near the size and weight of the watermaker we shlepped back last time. Then we will get it installed, hopefully have someone look at the engine as well, and then begin the trek down the coast of Mexico to be in El Salvador by the second week in March. At least that is the plan, always subject to change as is everything regarding sailing. Have a great day and I will write again when there is really something to say!

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kate and Mike. Good to hear you are feeling more content with your lot. Everything still the same here, big fire, students second day of school. I haven't taught two English classes in years, so it has been fun to get these quiet, shy students in to sit on my couch after school, poring over my laptop to find info for their first essays.My performance troupe had their first class today. We traditionally perform three numbers from last year at the Open House, which normally is the early part of Oct.However this year it is in a week!!! So the upperclassmen are teaching the newbies the numbers at Mach One tempo. They are doing really well, and the enthusiasm and excitement about being in this hardworking elite group is terrific. These kids are all talented in their own way, are dedicated, and just a joy to work with.One responded after class "Wow, this is such a wonderful thing to be in, where every single person wants to make it the best possible work". It is a haven for the dedicated ones, and what they don't realize - it is a haven for me too. No disciplining necessary. Take care! Miss you guys. Tempest seems very cheerful these days. I think she is starting to really feel this is her home and she is happy.

    ReplyDelete