Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I Caught the Mahi But I Did Not Catch the Tiny Bass

(Please note the above title is to be sung to the tune of "I Shot the Sheriff").

Yes, I did catch tonight's dinner, which was a fine dorado (aka mahi-mahi) and the biggest one we have caught yet! It will make three meals of delicious filets. It was at the very end of a long day of fishing, and we were beginning to think we would have to thaw some ribs for dinner as we had caught nothing, except for a bass that was about four inches long (caught by Mike) that was thrown back.

We were heading back into the anchorage after going all around the area in our dinghy to n o avail, and Mike decided we would troll our way back to Magda Jean. We went to an area where we caught a sierra earlier in the week, and I was holding the pole. All of a sudden I felt a jerk on the line and told Mike "I think I have something." We looked over at where the line goes out of the water and a dorado leapt out! I reeled it in - surprisingly easily as those things usually fight to the bitter end - and told Mike "Get the gaff!" He said "No, you have more work to do" and I said "But here he is!" And sure enough, I had reeled him (actually he turned out to be a she) right up to the side of the dinghy. Mike gaffed her perfectly and we returned to the boat and Mike cleaned her right away. Of course then he had to clean up the big bloody mess on the deck, but that is the price of fishing, what can I say. Mike is preparing the meal tonight and I can hardly wait. Tomorrow I will make the dinner and then after that who knows? Probably whoever comes up with the best recipe. My specialty is poaching fish in wine, olive oil, and herbs.

Tomorrow we are going to get some more clams. We were going to do that today, after fishing, but the fishing went so well that we decided to wait so as not to be greedy. The clams will still be there tomorrow. I want to have them steamed in wine and herbs and butter. I love steamed clams, almost better than clam spaghetti, but it is really hard to say which is better. They are deliciously different.

The weather is getting a bit cooler, but that might just be wishful thinking. At least the heat here is drier than other places we have been. We were told that this is the apex of the hot season and it will not get any hotter. I am glad about that. Even though I am more acclimated than I ever thought I could get, it is still hot and I really enjoy my swims and then a nice fresh water washdown in the shower. I am completely used to sweat running down my nose and dripping onto the computer keys. I am sure everyone is really bored with hearing me talk about the heat here (I guess I mean writing and reading, not talking and hearing) but I was more worried about how I would deal with that than I was about being eaten by a shark or getting shipwrecked in a storm. And I feel like I triumphed.

Otherwise, things are the same as always. I get up before Mike, make some coffee, and read as long as I can until he gets up. Then we eat breakfast, do chores around the boat, and fish, swim, talk, read some more, and watch movies. Or visit with other people when there are other boats around. We miss our friends on Sundancer a lot, but will be seeing them again in a couple of weeks.

I guess that might sound boring, but it never is. At least not to me. I spent more time being bored when I lived in San Diego and had a job, a TV, and plenty of places to go. Now when we are away from the boat, I miss it almost immediately. Everyone keeps telling me I should write a book. I have made some notes and a few outlines, but so far I can't decide where I want to take anything. I suppose I never will unless I just sit down and start writing. But all retired lawyers think they will write books. And some actually do, so why not me?

So that is all for today. Mike is starting dinner, so I had better get going and help him so he doesn't tear the kitchen apart looking for things. I know where everything is. And I want another beer. So I wish everyone a great day!

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment