Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Back at Puerto Don Juan

We left Bahia de Los Angeles today and went back to Puerto Don Juan. As we were leaving Bahia de Los Angeles, we saw three more whale sharks. I feel really lucky to have done so - they are really amazing creatures. I feel really grateful to see so much wildlife as we sail.

We will stay here in Puerto Don Juan for a couple of, mainly to get some more clams. Last night we had steamed clams with a garlic butter sauce, Mike's fabulous cole slaw, and a salad. We were able to get two heads of lettuce in Bahia de Los Angeles, so that means we will have salad every day until it runs out. Salad is a huge treat. Tonight we are having hot dogs cooked on the grill with more cole slaw and salad. Mike is a big hotdog fan - I like them okay.

There are nine other boats here - most of them we have met before. Most of them are very social, and like to organize things. One of the things they have organized is the 4 pm swim. Everyone gets in the water and swims to a point sort of midway between all the boats, and we float around and visit for an hour or so. It is actually a lot of fun. The first time I saw people doing it we were anchored a ways away, and from a distance I thought it was birds in the water. Then I realized it was people. I call it the Talking Heads Convention because it is a lot of people with their heads sticking out of the water yakking away. I have learned a lot, though, because a lot of these people have been out here much longer than we have and have a lot of good information they are willing to share. The currant topic among the women is how to make your own yogurt. I am not going to try it because neither of us are all that fond of yogurt unless it has fruit in it. It doesn't sound hard, though - too bad it isn't something I am really interested in making. I am still waiting to try making bread in the pressure cooker but I have to wait until we have eaten up the bread we have. I have a recipe that sounds pretty easy, and my usual problem with bread won't be a problem here - it is finding some place warm enough so that it rises.

Right now I am listening to what is probably my favorite Joni Mitchell song - "Carey." I also like "California" a lot too. It is kind of hard to actually name a favorite Joni Mitchell song, now that I think about it. There are so many.

Well, that is pretty much it for today. After we leave here in a day or so, we are planning to go back to Isla Partida and hopefully catch some fish to tide us over when we make the 122 mile sail to San Carlos. We weren't able to find any fresh meat in Bahia de Los Angeles, so if we don't catch any fish, there will be some rather lean days. Oh well - I make a mean vegetarian chili, so all will not be lost. So have a great day and eat something really good!

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Really love reading your blog Kate. I can actually hear your voice reading the words to me. I love how your life revolves around the simple things in life, finding food and keeping your shelter functioning. Envious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just curious, do you get our comments? Do they appear right away?

    ReplyDelete