Friday, August 12, 2011

Leaving Isla Coronados

Last night we  slept out in the cockpit.  Mike brought the sofa cushions up and they fit perfectly.  I slept quite well - when it is this hot I wake up drenched in sweat.  I still got hot, but it was a lot more comfortable.  I learned the meaning  of the term "bathed in moonlight" when I awoke to the almost full moon.  It was so bright I almost could have read a book.  When morning came, we were awakened by a whole bunch of rays jumping out of the water.  It was really amazing - a word I know I overuse,  but I can't think of another one that is more fitting.

Everything seems to be working well on the boat.  We will be leaving for a new anchorage today, and we will see if the theory about the engine is correct.  We do have to burn off some of the excess oil - I do not completely understand the whole thing but Mike is optimistic.  The batteries seem to be charging better, and I have no idea why that is.  The new water pump not only fixed the problem, but uses less power and works better.  So at this point, all is well on the mechanical front.

I tried to change my Facebook picture, but I don't think it worked.  Just as well - it is a picture taken underwater of me snorkling and I look just like a fish.  If all goes well, I will post it here.  Our internet connection is not the strongest. 

Yesterday we went for a hike on this island.  I was proud of myself for hiking in hot sun and well over 90 degree weather - a year ago I would not have attempted it.  It wasn't just that I don't like being hot and sweaty, but I would actually become physically ill when I got too warm.  Now I am just as hot and sweaty, but I feel fine.  Even without chewing betelnut like I did in Taiwan.  But that is for another post unless I already talked about it.  I can be really repetitive, if that has not been noticed already.  Anyway, the island is volcanic, and part of the hike was over a lava field that was completely covered with rocks that were hard to climb over.  I was real careful and did not fall down, which is good for me because I am well known for tripping and falling.  There was evidence all over the place of the ancient people who lived here years ago - I have seen some stuff like this when I have hiked in the California deserts, but never in such abundence.  It must have been a hard life.  After the hike we snorkled - the fish were incredible and we saw a moray eel.  Mike loves to see those but I admit they scare me.  Our scuba instructor in La Paz has a scar on his face from being bitten by one.  Of course he was messing with it, it did not just come up and attack him.  Still, they have a couple rows of really sharp looking teeth. 

The plan for today is to sail about 20 miles to an anchorage on the mainland called San Juanico.  Some friends of ours left here yesterday and we hope to catch up with them.  We haven't had any overnight passages for a long time now, and Mike plans to do mostly day sails, stopping for the night.  I sort of like overnights, but it is also nice for everyone to get some good sleep.  It takes at least three full days to adjust to an on-and-off watch schedule - and Mike has a hard time getting enough sleep as he knows I am not the sailor he is.  I am getting better though - my sail trimming skills are almost as good as his if I do say so myself.  I am still a poor helmsman - thank goodness for Iron Mike and Adelaide, our two autopilots.

I had better wind this up - it looks like the internet may be dying.  Have a great day!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment