Saturday, August 20, 2011

Anchored and Loving Life


We are currently anchored at a place called Caleta Los Arcos, which is on Isla San Marcos, just a short distance from Santa Rosalia.  We had planned to be in Santa Rosalia today, but there was very little wind and we just poked along.  Mike hates to use the engine - and truth is we have a sailboat, not a powerboat, and like to sail along, not motor along.  That does mean that at times we go pretty slow, no question.

Mike changed the fuel filter today after I got the idea to email our diesel mechanics teacher (we took a one day class in diesel engine maintenance in February 2010) and ask him for suggestions on our engine issues.  He agreed that the dipstick we have does not match our engine configuration, which would explain why it registers empty, then is overflowing after adding less than half a cup of oil.  He also thought the white smoke could be from dirty fuel - not an unusual problem here in Mexico - and suggested we change the fuel filter.  The engine ran great after that, so maybe the problem is finally licked.  I hope so anyway.

We had a great stay in Punta Chivato - there is a wonderful hotel there we have stayed at in the past.  This time we did not stay there, but did have dinner and cold beer (which is something we are out of).  The beer, that is.  Anyway, the meal was wonderful.  Of course we forgot to put on our mast light or bring a flashlight when we left the boat in the dinghy, and when it was time to go home we had a hell of a time finding our way back along the beach to the dinghy.  It was a rocky beach too, so that made it even harder.  I vow to remember to turn on the lights and bring a flashlight the next time we leave the boat when it might be dark when we get back.

Today Mike caught a dorado (mahi mahi) which we are having for dinner tonight, along with Mike's cole slaw (made from the last of our fresh vegetables.  Cabbage lasts a long time.).  We are also having ceviche and homemade tortillas.  Not too bad if I do say so myself.  We do need to get to Santa Rosalia so we can get more fresh food and more beer!  There is nothing like a cold beer at the end of a good day sailing!

I decided I did not need my hair three quarters of the way down my back, so a few days ago I had Mike cut about six inches off.  He did a great job, and if he learns to do facials, could be an esthetician.  It is still long enough to pull back and put up, which is exactly what I wanted.

The anchorage here is gorgeous.  It backs up to a high rocky cliff, with so many different colors of rock it is breathtaking.  There are also two large sea caves for us to explore, some reefs for snorkeling, and of course beautiful clear water to swim in.  We are planning to use our snorkel gear tomorrow to do some cleaning to the waterline and bottom of the boat.  I get to do the waterline as Mike can dive better and hold his breath longer than I can.  But I can scrape barnacles with the best of them!

I hope to have a better internet connection when I get to Santa Rosalia so I can post some more pictures.  Right now I have to go and fry up some of the fresh tortillas to go with the ceviche.  I'm in heaven.  

No comments:

Post a Comment