Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Off to Mazatlan!

At seven p.m. tonight, we board the ferry for the 15 hour trip from La Paz to Mazatlan.  I can hardly wait.  Besides wanting to get back "home" to Magda Jean, this will be the longest trip I have ever taken on a boat where I was not in part responsible for piloting.  We reserved a little cabin so we can have a place to lie down and a private bathroom.  We went over there this morning to find out what we need to do, because we have a ton of stuff and don't want to have to run around the place trying to find out where we are supposed to be while dragging all that stuff.  We found out we have to clear customs yet again - we did it already when we came into Mexico so I am not sure why we need to do it again.  But I have no choice, so that is how it is. 

Here are some pictures of the beach we went to last week.  Mike climbed up a big sandy hill and took the pictures from the top.  The water is beautifully warm and clear as you can see.  We get to spend the whole summer looking at beaches like this:


Here is a picture of the famous mushroom rock here at Tecolote Beach.

This beach is in my opinion the best beach in  Baja California.  And I have been to a lot of them. 

We plan to spend the next month back in Mazatlan installing the watermaker and getting the boat ready to spend a month or so at anchor at some islands near here.  That will mean I have to think hard about provisioning, so we don't run out of decent food too soon.  Our freezer is small and not all that great, so I have to be pretty creative since we can't carry a ton of frozen meat.  I anticipate complaints if I serve bean dishes too often.

I have to get back to my preparations for leaving now - so the next post will be written from Magda Jean's nav station desk! 

1 comment: