Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Wonderful Birthday . . .

is what I had yesterday.  I spent the day at the spa, and feel terrific. Facial, mani & pedi, massage - what could be better?  And Mike made it the best day ever just by being himself.  I don't think I am always properly appreciative.  And since he doesn't read this, I am not just currying favor.  It is really true.

I am still enjoying myself here, but we are also making plans where to go next after we get back from the states.  There is a town south of here - I can't remember how far - called San Blas that we have heard good things about and would like to visit.  Additionally, there is an island called Isla Isabella that is a nature preserve, but you can go on it and can anchor off it as well.  It has been called the Galapagos of Mexico  because of some of the unique species of birds that live there.  The island is just under 100 miles from here, and San Blas is a bit beyond that.  We miss being at sea as well.  I have gotten so spoiled that I want it all!

It is still strange to know the only thing that really controls what I do and where I go is the weather.  We have to go north by June to get away from the hurricane belt (June through Sept I think -it is an insurance rule) and plan to be in the Sea of Cortez for the summer.  It will be a great place to teach my nephew Walt how to sail, and for Walt and I to get our scuba certification so Mike can have diving partners and so we can take turns cleaning the bottom of the boat and rescuing the anchor if it gets stuck.  Plus - diving is just plain really, really fun.  I know I flunked my last class, but I did pass everything except the open water part.  I blame it on cold water and the fact that we had to walk 250 yards with all our stuff on and then swim through the surf another 250 yards before we even began our dives.  I did the first dive, but after that I was so beat I really didn't think it was safe to go again.  If we get the training here, the open water dives will be off a dive boat in nice warm clear water.  Plus I was too fat then and not in good shape.  I have lost weight and am a lot stronger now. 

This pirate thing makes me so mad - I hate the fact that sometimes thugs get to dictate where one can go.  I know that sounds naive, but it has always bothered me, even bad neighborhoods in US cities.  My son's father and I would sometimes purposely go to so-called bad areas just to prove we could do it.  We were usually mildly disappointed to see they were never that bad, just run down.  Like Watts in LA, or some of those places.  I guess I can't be so cavalier in other parts of the world.  So no east African cruising for us right now, that's for sure.  I feel so bad for those poor people who got killed. 

We are hoping to get our anchor windlass back soon, and also plan to add a large capacity watermaker to the boat, which would make it easier in so many ways - which includes regular fresh water showers while underway.  We have seen a model which would work off the generator we already have and would make 20 gallons of water per hour.  That would be using less than a gallon of gas for the generator.  Not bad.

Well, this is not the most exciting post I have ever written, but it will have to do.  I hope everyone has a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment