Thursday, February 17, 2011

Socked In

 It is completely socked in with fog this morning.  I figured that when I was awakened by drops of water on my face.  My side of the bed is directly under a hatch, which is both good and bad, this morning being a demonstration of the bad.   So I am up early. 

Right now we are eagerly awaiting the arrival of about three months worth of mail my sister Buffy graciously forwarded to me.  She is allowing us to use her address while we figure out how to handle the mail issue.  And it is an issue. When we lived on the boat in San Diego, we had a PO box and could also use the marina address.  We arranged to take care of financial obligations electronically.  However, it seems one cannot get away completely with the need for a physical address.  That is where Buffy stepped in.  We recently discovered that for a fee (affordable, thank goodness) there is a firm that will recieve your mail, scan it, email it to you, and then you can determine what if anything needs to be sent on. As soon as we have all our tax stuff, we plan to enroll and take the burden off my kind sister.  That means we will have an address in Florida.  My "address" will now be in a state in which I have never actually stepped foot.

Here are some pictures I took while we were walking around the city the other day.


      And here we are tucked away nicely in the marina.
And we DID go out and get the TV. Mike mounted and hooked it up yesterday.  Now we can watch CNN and see all the awful we crap had been lucky enough NOT to see previously.  I do have mixed feelings about this.  However, the up side was watching movies on Showtime and HBO, both of which are provided with the free cable here at the marina.  A word about Mexican television.  I do not understand most of the Spanish on TV because they talk too fast, but from what I have seen, it is a combination of telenovelas (soap operas) and Benny Hill-type variety shows, involving fat old men dressed in silly clothes and acting manic, combined with beautiful young girls in tight clothing.  There is one show that appears to be like Montel Williams with a blond woman as the host.  She is sort of scary - in part because she looks like she might have started out life as a man.  (Not that there is anything wrong with that!)

I think I mentioned previously that our anchor windlass (the mechanism that pulls up the anchor electronically) broke while we were in Cabo San Lucas, requiring Mike to pull it up hand over hand.  That is simply too difficult considering the weight of the anchor and the chain (well over 200 feet of heavy chain) combined with the water on top of it.  But we got what might be good news - it may be repairable for a fraction (literally) of the cost.  I hope I am not jinxing it by writing in this optimistic tone, but here's hoping.  I have a small shrine here on the boat to Nuestra Senora Del Carmen, who is, among other things, the patron saint of mariners here in Mexico.  Perhaps she can intervene on our  behalf!  I may not be religious, but I do believe in covering all the bases.  I think my sprituality is more of the primative superstition ilk than true faith, but so far it is working for me.  I just do the best I can with that. 

Well, I can tell I am starting to babble.  Til next time . . .              

No comments:

Post a Comment