Sunday, February 13, 2011

What we have seen

Here is a sample of some of the things we have seen while on our way here.

Ensenada has hundreds of drug stores (at least it seems like hundreds) that cater to Americans looking for better deals on pharmeceutical drugs.  They advertise and are not afraid to call a spade a spade.  This could never happen in the USA.

This is an example of the sunsets we get to see while underway.

And a sunrise as well!
Here we are at anchor.

Since I have now figured out how to add pictures and have an internet connection capable of handling it, I will hopefully be posting more pictures. Maybe even some video! 

Mazatlan is wonderful and I think I may have said that before.  I could easily live here.  We went grocery shopping yesterday at this huge store that had absolutely everything I could ever want and then some - and for very reasonable prices.  We are going to a potluck today on "A" dock (we are on "B" dock) and will meet our neighbors here at the marina.  We got the invitation from Captain George, who lives on a big stinkpot (powerboat as opposed to sailboat - they call us names, too) and who is the unofficial host of the marina.  The cruisers here in Mazatlan support an orphange, and have fundraisers amoung ourselves to help them out.  I am looking forward to meeting some new people.  There are some beautiful boats here,  but have no concerns - Magda Jean can hold her own with the best of them.  A Valiant 40 commands respect! 

Our plans from here are getting more convoluted by the day - we NEED a new electric anchor windlass, and WANT/need a watermaker.  This is more complicated than it sounds because the equipment needs to be imported from the US.  We could simply order it through the yacht repair and boatyard here - that would  be the easy way - but that means we have to pay a 30% tax, and the equipment we want is expensive enough as it is.  The other option would be to go to the US and bring it back ourselves, but that would have to be done by car or bus.  When you do it that way, it is not likely you will be caught and taxed.  I feel kind of  bad about trying to avoid the tax, because Mexico needs the money and I firmly believe in paying my fair share.  However, the tax on a four grand windlass would be about twelve hundred more, which is substantial. So we are mulling over our options. 

We almost bought a TV yesterday after we found out the marina has cable TV.  (It was Mike's idea, not mine.)   We can fit a nice flat screen in here.  I have very mixed feelings about it.  On the one hand, it would be nice to have the option of TV in the evenings, but it also means we have access to the news, which gets Mike to ranting about the state of the world and even though I usually agree with him, the ranting gets on my nerves.  I think we will end up getting one, though.  We have been really out of touch with the happenings of the world these days.  For example, we had no idea what was happening in Egypt until it was almost over and everyone was happy.  Our only TV watching has been confined to bars, which here means only ESPN or soccer matches.  Anyway, it is one of those blessing-curse combos.    Also, we could watch our movies on that instead of the computer, which would also be nice.  I am still pissed off at Netflicks who will not allow us to watch movies in Mexico.

There has only been one sad, sorry note to our adventures so far.  Mike's wallet is at the bottom of the ocean in Cabo San Lucas.  It worked its way out of his pocket while he was perched on the side of our inflatable dinghy racing around the harbor in very choppy seas. The worst part was we had just gone to the  bank and there were several hundred dollars worth of pesos in it.  I told him the lobsters were using it to bet on the seahorse races.  I am so grateful we could absorb this loss so easily - there was a time in my life (actually several times) when the loss of this much money would have set me back literally for months.  Now it is just a bummer and a hassle.    

I guess I should sign off this post and tidy up the cabin a bit - one of the good things about living on a boat is how quickly it can be straightened up and made to look nice.  For a crappy housekeeper like myself, that is the way to go.  At this point, I might want to live here after we finish cruising.  I wonder how many times I am going to say that before I am through? 

1 comment:

  1. Actually Katie, I think it is wonderful that you found out what happened in Egypt at the point everyone was happy. After reading your blogs about being away from it all and not listening to the news, I avoided it for awhile and it was nice and less stressful. I just went to a training on EMDR, are you familiar with it? It was cool and I am so getting back into the body focus and the disconnect and healthy connect between the mind and body.

    ReplyDelete