Friday, November 5, 2010

The depth meter works!

Yesterday was wonderful and not just because Mike got the depth meter to work.  We spent the whole day out on the bay.  There was hardly any wind, but Magda Jean managed to ghost along anyway, which was really amazing.  It is actually harder to sail in light wind than it is in heavy wind. (hurricane force excluded of course.)  I took the helm for a good portion of the day and managed to hold the course - another thing that is difficult when there is no wind.  It was also over 80 degrees - in November!  But it was wonderful.

This helming (steering) thing for me is pretty big.  I have not been a good helmsman in the past.  But the last time we went out, and I got blisters on my hands from handling the sheets (the ropes that are used to move the sails back and forth) I realized that helming is a lot easier than sheet handling.  And if I am at the helm. Mike cannot annoy me by shouting "Pull!  Pull!" when I am already pulling as hard as I can.  So I decided that no matter what it took, I was going to take over the helm and let him drag those sheets around.  I particularly disliked handling the large genoa, which is a big jib sheet at the bow of the boat.  It is extremely heavy.  And Mike did not seem to appreciate how heavy that sheet is.  I concentrated hard, paid close attention to how things went, and I now feel like I can handle the helm for everything except docking.  I need more practice for that.  I also felt really vindicated as Mike got blisters on his hands and was looking at them with wonder.   

Helming isn't quite like driving a car, because when you are in a car, the road beneath you isn't moving like the water is, and you are not as affected by the wind.  In a sailboat, you can hold the helm perfectly straight and you will not necessarily go perfectly straight.  The wind will try and blow you sideways, and the water is at times going the opposite direction you are.  That is also why helming in light wind is harder - there is no wind to counter whatever the water is doing.  So the boat drifts and you have to really watch it and keep the boat going the course you want to go.  In the bay I use a landmark, but at sea you have to rely on your compass reading.

So all of this means that we are really close to being able to leave.  There remains the davit for the stern rail, but that is being fabricated as we speak and should be put in next week.  Oh Mexico - so close and yet so far.             

No comments:

Post a Comment