Thursday, November 4, 2010

Closer and Closer

Since we haven't left yet, it seems sort of silly to keep writing this blog as there is nothing that interesting to tell anyone yet.  However, that isn't stopping me.

The elections are over.  Thank goodness.  I hope to never have to live through another election cycle here.  I only want to read about it from afar.

We now have air conditioning!  Really!  Mike bought a generator and a small ac unit.  If we are at a marina, we only have to position the unit in the space between the cockpit and the cabin (the companionway) and turn it on.  If we are anchored with no shore power, we use the generator.  Amazing if you ask me.  I feel like a megayacht owner!  Not really, but having ac is likely to save me in the tropics.  A few people have asked me why, since I do not do real well in hot weather, I want to go to the tropics.  Well, I only do poorly in heat when I can't get out of it.  Since I am not working and will be surrounded by water, I can jump in and cool off.  I can take a nap during the hottest part of the day.  I can put the shade up over the cockpit so the sun isn't beating down on me.  I can schedule work projects for early morning and evening when the sun isn't so high.  When I went to Cancun, I spent most of my time sitting under a palapa on the beach rather than in the direct sunlight.  I don't plan on getting sick from the heat.  I know how to handle myself. 

We also got a dinghy.  It is a ten foot inflatable with a hard bottom and a 10 hp engine.  We rigged up a way to lift it up on the boat so it can be stored when we are underway.  The boat guys are building a davit system that will double as an antenna tower so the engine can  be lifted off the davit and stored on the back of the boat for sailing.  If we are using the dinghy everyday, the engine stays on and we just hoist it in the air next to the boat at night so it won't get stolen.  Your dinghy is your everyday car.  Last night a friend came into town and we took her and her friend to dinner - using the dinghy to go across the bay to the restaurant instead of driving.  It was really fun.  I like riding in the dinghy - it is almost as much fun as Magda Jean herself.

The only thing keeping us from leaving is a problem with the sonar, which acts as our depth gauge and fish finder.  I could live without the fish finder stuff, b ut a depth gauge is essential.  The boat guys are having trouble figuring it out, and it looks like we might have to haul the boat out.  I am hoping not - besides the expense and time, I don't want to live in that dirty shipyard anymore.  The fun wore off a long time ago.  Shipyards are filthy places, and everything gets dirty.  In addition, I really want to get underway.  Interestingly, I am experiencing a small but unpleasant depression, and I am not sure of the cause.  I can't blame Mike for everything!

Anyway - that is the story so far.  Please stay with me - I promise things will get more interesting eventually!   

No comments:

Post a Comment