Monday, November 26, 2012

Some Belize Photos

 

 

 
Here are some of the pictures we took while we have been here.  Because Mike is the photographer and he has been under the weather, there aren't as many as usual.  But this gives you an idea of things, although They never really capture things.
 
Here is the bus station in Belize City.  A bus just left so there is no one crowding around the gates.
 
 
This sign was posted in Belize City right outside of a restaurant we were walking to (after being told in no uncertain terms we were to walk nowhere at all, it was too dangerous.  We ignored the warnings and all was well. 

 
 
Here I am on my bike, riding along in Caye Caulker.  No cars, only golf carts. 

 
This is the temple ruin at Lamanai with beautifully carved masks. 

 
Here is the sun god - the big round eyes signify wisdom.

 
 
 
 And here is Mike with his horse, Goldie.  We were on a hand cranked ferry on our way to some ruins with a long name that begins with an X that I can't remember as I write this. 
 
 
They eat armadillo down here,  I have not tried it, but I will if I get a chance.  After all, I did eat gibnut!

 
 

The view from our room at Caye Caulker.  The wind blows all the time, so I see why people love to sail the Caribbean.

 
 
This is the main street in Caye Caulker.  tobacco Caye has no streets at all.  It is like one big block and you just walk around where ever you want to.
 

So that is it for now.  We are again in San Ignacio, and tomorrow we will head for Guatemala.  I'm thinking Christmas in Antigua if things go the way they have been - travel with no schedule is pretty good.  There are a few concerns - for example, we left some expensive winches at a machine shop in San Salvador and they do not answer their emails, even ones sent in Spanish.  Our landlord (so to speak) in El Salvador might be in some trouble - some kids (who happened to be his cousins) were caught breaking into a boat at another mooring field owned by someone else.  The kids told the cops that Santos (The landlord) paid them $100 to break into the boat to make his mooring field look safer than the other mooring field.  The kids did, apparently have $100 on them when caught.  Santos claims he is being set up.  Well, as my good friend Sheila said, "There was never a pancake so thin it did not have two sides."  I am very fond of Santos, but this pancake is pretty thin.  So that is a concern.  And of course we miss the boat and are also eager to head south, for Costa Rica and points beyond.  All's well.

"I shall not change my course because those who assume to be better than I desire it." (Victoria Claflin Woodhull)

No comments:

Post a Comment