Monday, November 5, 2012

Belize!

So it is true, we finally made it out of Mexico.  We went from Chetumal to Caye Caulker via boat, and instead of just spending a few nights here and then moving on, we are going to be here for about a week.  Here is one reason why we are staying - the view from our hotel room.



It has been windy and overcast with some squalls most of the time we have been here.  This place could not be more different than Playa del Carmen - for example, I lost a tank top when it was drying on the balcony, so I need a new one and guess what - I can't find a tourist store selling T shirts!  It has rained almost every day, and Mike thinks the water is too cold to swim in.  Not me - I think it is quite refreshing.  with all the rain, it hasn't been great visibility for snorkeling.  So we spend most of our time riding our rented bikes around the island, dodging squalls with varying degrees of success. Mike is pretty good about looking at the sky and figuring out how long we have before the storm hits with the rain.  I like it - it is nice not to be hot and sweaty for a change.

Here is a view of the main drag here in Caye Caulker.  No cars, no paved roads, just bikes and golf carts.  And stray dogs. 
 
 
No artifice here!

I have no desire to try anything that tastes like a combination of mint and licorice.  I just do not see that working for me. 

One thing fun about being here is that there is US TV in our room.  That is in some ways a treat for us.  If we have any English TV at all, it is usually CNN international or a movie channel called "Panico" that plays horror movie after horror movie.  Here we are getting regular things - we got to watch American football yesterday in our room while it was raining, and we are keeping track of the election (we voted via absentee ballot). 

This is the first time we have had anything less than perfect weather while traveling - and unless one wants to swim in the rain, there isn't too much to actually do except drink in the bars.  But at 10:46 am, I think it is a bit too early.  So here I am, doing what I have been putting off for too long - updating this blog.  Even with the rain, this place is wonderful - I can just sit on the balcony (when the rain is not blowing that direction and read with a clear conscience, not feeling guilty for not doing something that requires more physical energy than I expend with my books.  As the clouds shift around in the sky, the water changes color, from slate grey to deep blue to turquoise to beige.  When it turns beige, you know that is is very shallow because the beige color is sand or coral, whatever is below.  

It would be easy to get really fat here - there is a woman who sells great pie on the street.  We have fallen in love with her coconut chocolate and her key lime meringue is also pretty darn good.  I could eat it all day.  And there is a Chinese take out that makes really good fried rice.  And they also have these things called fry jacks - which are like a cross between fry bread and popovers.  They are awesomely good and not at all good for you.  Right up my alley.

So that is what I have been up to - watching it rain and enjoying every minute of it.  Since I do have TV, I am going to follow the election returns tomorrow, keeping good thoughts for my sister, who is running for state Assembly in Wisconsin.  The next plan is to leave here for the mainland, and explore some ruins and a nature preserve.  Then back to the beach, more ruins, and Guatemala.  At least that is the plan, currently, anyway.  Everything is always drawn in sand for me these days rather than being carved in stone.  I like it that way.

“Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.”  (Bob Marley)
         

 

No comments:

Post a Comment