Monday, July 2, 2012

Another Day, Another Perspective

So look at this - two posts in two days.  Let's see how long we can keep this up.

There have been other things going on here as well as me feeling sorry for myself.  Yesterday after I wrote that post - and it was good to get it off my chest - I put on some music.  I chose The Grateful Dead and Little Feat and as always, listening to that put me in a better mood.  I can't change what other people do,  but I do have control over how I let it affect me.

We (Mike) put in basically a new toilet.  The actual commode itself has not changed, but all the mechanisms are new.  We actually bought the replacement kit before we ever left San Diego (20 month ago) knowing that we would need it at some point, and would likely need it when we were nowhere near any product distributors.  And unlike a fridge, you really need a toilet.  Otherwise it means using a bucket.  Not happening.  So on the day Mike suggested we do absolutely nothing except kick back on the boat and maybe watch a movie, I called from the bathroom "There is something wrong with the flushing mechanism!"  So of course we (he) had to spend the whole day taking it apart and putting the new stuff in.  But now it is working better than the old one ever did.  I had no idea that the old one never did work right - I thought all the problems were just what happens with marine toilets.

On a sadder note, a good friend of ours here in El Salvador lost his father (motorcycle accident) last week.  We went to the Salvadoran equivalent of a wake - it happened the day of the death, and the casket was there.  There was music and a lot of praying.  Then the next day the father was taken down the estuary for a final panga ride, and then buried.  They don't do embalming here as a general rule.  Today there is a memorial party that we will attend with some of the other cruisers.  I feel really bad for Santos - he is the oldest and now he will be responsible for the family.  I do think he is up to the task, though.  It is hard to watch someone go through something like that.  I dont care how old and self sufficient one is - I think the loss of a parent really makes one feel adrift in the world.

We have also been riding around a lot in the dinghy, exploring the unlimited estuary and mangroves.  Since Mike got his chartplotter for the dinghy, we can wonder about as much as we want  becuse the chart plotter keeps us from getting lost in those mangrove inlets and paths. 

One of the most important things we always remeber to have with us is bug spray.  We prefer Deep Woods Off, which is 25% DEET.  Believe me, you need it here.  Besides mosquitos, there are these little bugs you can't see or feel, until you find yourself frantically scratching at your ankle.  The spray does a good job, but I feel like a toxic waste dump weaaring it.  Every now and then someone comes up with an organic alternative, and we all go nuts trying it, but it never works and we all go back to DEET.  It is a bog deal for more than just comfort - although I have not heard of malaria around here, dengue is a big problem and I would rather get malaria then dengue.  Although  it could, I suppose,  be viewed as a weight loss opportunity . . .

Speaking of bugs, like almost everyone else here (and that is true or I would not be talking about it) we have roaches.  How they got here is a mystery - likely came in on a nice fresh hand of bananas or something like that.  But I have boric acid sprinkled everywhere, and although that takes a couple of weeks, it will eventually get rid of them.  I hate them - but at least they don't bite. 

Because we spent so much time in Mexico, I find myself comparing the two places and noting the differences.  One of the differences is that unlike Mexico, El Salvador does not have any bars.  In Mexico there is a cantina on every corner (sort of like Wisconsin!), but here - nothing.  There are dance clubs in San Salvador, and there are certainly restaurants where you can sit and have a drink, but no real bars to speak of.  I just get a blank look when I ask about it.  I have heard there are some, but they are low key and you have to know where they are.  Many small towns have none whatsoever.  The exception is La Libertad - which is a tourist and surfing mecca.  Lots of young backpackers with surfboards, baggy clothes, and blond dreadlocks.  There are bars there, catering to the tourists. 

Well, I think that is all for today.  I plan to spend it doing pretty much nothing except for our friend's father's memorial, not so much different than how I spend most of my days!

“Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” (Bernard M Baruch)

No comments:

Post a Comment