Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Weather Wimp

Last night it got down to 55 degrees.  I was freezing in bed, even with Mike cuddled up against me.  We broke out an extra blanket.  It amazes me to think that less than a month ago, I was running my AC 24/7 at the marina in Topolobampo and being concerned about sweat ruining my white shirt.  What a difference!  The good thing is it is now really comfortable to walk during the day for long stretches.  I love to walk but not when it is 90 degrees and 80 percent humidity.  Now that I stop to think about it,  we were using the AC here right before we went to the states.  It should be in the seventies or low eighties today, which as far as I am concerned is really comfortable.  I am turning into a weather wimp.  Mike is already  a true weather wimp - he says he will never go anywhere if he has to wear a jacket.

My nephew is joining us today.  I am really looking forward to it.  We were getting a really nice rhythm going just as he left, and I think we can get that back in a lot less time than it took to develop it in the first place.  Mike and I have grown so much over this summer and fall as far as our sailing and general boat skills go, which means we are more confident, which means we will be better teachers.  And a number of mechanical problems have been sorted out, which means no stress over how the engine will act. 

Yesterday was our one year anniversary - we left San Diego on Nov 29, 2010.  I am sort of surprized that we continued on considering the crappy sail we had getting to Ensenada - the bilge overflowed and flooded the cabin floor, and I was SO SICK!  I remember thinking "If sailing was always like this no one would ever do it, so it must get better."  Then our next sail (actually our longest period underway to date) was the four day, three night sail to Turtle Bay, which was the polar opposite of the SD-Ensenada trip.  So that is how it goes - things are sublime when they are good and horrible when they are bad.  

I have always had dreams of what I wanted my life to be, and most of the time I settled for less - or at least something very different.  I haven't always made the best choices - has anyone?  But the feeling I get when I look around and realize that for once things have worked out the way I want them to is pretty much undescribable.  It is probably because I am not used to this feeling, and therefore not sure how to label it.  I almost hate to examine my circumstances too much because I am afraid of jinxing things.  But as far as today goes - all is right with my little world.  I wouldn't be anywhere else.  For the first time that I can remember, I am pretty much living in the moment rather than existing in a holding pattern, waiting for something to happen so something else can happen.  It is a great feeling. 

Back to earth now - it is time to fix breakfast.  And the temperature has risen to a whopping 68, but I think it feels warmer than that.  I need to make another pot of coffee.  And we need to clear Walt's bed - the vee berth - of all the crap we have stacked up there.  I have been sort of dreading the task of finding a place for all those things - space and storage are always an issue on a boat.  Something will present itself, I am sure. It usually does, one way or another.  Have a great day!     

No comments:

Post a Comment