Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy thanksgiving to one and all!  I thought we were limited to a chicken in our small oven but last night we found out one of our favorite restaurants is serving a turkey dinner so that is where we will go.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday anyway - even more so than Christmas.

Mike's finger is much better and it looks like the nail might be growing back.  I am still amazed he did not lose that finger.  I think in a way he is kind of disappointed in a way that he did not lose it - I think he was sort of interested in joining the missing digits club.  It is kind of a macho thing among male sailors - they love to show off their wounds and tell their war stories. Now every time he sees someone pull up in a dinghy to the dock, he runs to caution them to watch their hands and shows his wound.

As usual it is  awesome here.  There is nothing more to say about that.

We watched the republican debate the other night.  I wanted to see what Huntsman had to say, because at this point I think I could live with him as POTUS if I had to.  And I wanted to see if Romney and Perry would act like two year olds again - always a joy to watch your opponents eat each other.   But it turned out to be a very well run debate.  Almost all the candidates got a chance to talk, no one was allowed to dominate the discussion, and most of the questions were well thought out and not all softballs.  And this time we did not have Bachmann and Cain acting like they not only approved waterboarding,,  but could hardly wait to try it on someone.  But while I am not overjoyed about Obama's performance, I can't vote for any of these people.  The big problem for me is the level of what looks ot me like pure unadulturated meanness.  Perry, Bachmann, Cain, Romney, Santorum - none of them would spit on you if you were on fire.  They would say you haven't "earned" the right to be rescued from your flaming inferno.  And Newt - well, do not get me started.  His new found Catholicism not withstanding - something I actually respect - does not make me think this leopard has changed his spots.  Any man that would wait until his wife was in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery and then serve divorce papers on her is a truly horrible human being.   If I have lost any readers, well, sorry.  I am allowed to have an opinion and to express it, especially on my own blog.  Newt's treatment of his wife was one of the worst, cruelest things I ever heard of short of flat out physical abuse.  And when you couple that with his holier-than-thou actions towards Clinton - well - that is just too much.  So I will hold my nose and vote for Obama again.  Even if he isn't able (due to a shameful lack of cooperation) to get things done like he wanted to, I do think he cares about the middle class and the poor where the republicans simply do not.

And then there is Ron Paul.  I think almost every thinking person has at least flirted with libertarianism at some point, usually in college.  And Mike was getting pretty excited about him.  I like a lot of that stuff, but of course he takes it way too far - no public schools?  Crazy, in my opinion.  He is much better than his son, anyway.     

But enough about that!  It is Thanksgiving, which signals the beginnning of the holiday season.  I personally think no one should have to work between today and Super Bowl Sunday (we will get to watch the Packers win this year again!) which as far as I am concerned marks the end of the official holiday season.

I wish everyone their best Thanksgiving ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment