Sunday, March 6, 2011

Best Fireworks Show Ever!

We went to the best fireworks show I have ever seen  last night!  In Mexico, truthfully, safety takes a back seat to thrills and excitement, but I didn't mind blinking ashes out of my eyes.  It went on for almost an hour, with perfectly synchronized music.  We went with a group of friends from the marina here.  We all rode in the back of a pickup truck that had bench seats in the bed so as to make it into a taxi.  We had dinner - aguachile for me, I have become addicted to it - and then sat right on the edge of the malecon (boardwalk) in rented lawnchairs to watch the fireworks.  We danced and had an incredible time. 

Interestingly, we were the only Americans in the group.  Everyone else was Canadian.  In fact, we have met more Canadians down here than Americans.  They come as tourists and also bring their boats.  There are only a few Americans at our dock.  And everytime I think I have pegged a tourist as someone from the midwest, they turn out to be from Alberta.  Everyone last night was from Victoria.  I think the media up there maybe doesn't overstate the problems down here as does our media - the drug violence is horrendous, but it doesn't happen everywhere.  I would not go to Ciudad Juarez right now - but because I don't want to get caught in crossfire, not that I would be a target.  (And truthfully, I have been to that area in the past and it is hot and dusty and not all that interesting.)  And we Americans do share some of the blame - most of the guns and weapons used by the cartels come from the US.  We haven't done much to stop that as best as I can see.  But since I have been down here - from Ensenada on down, we have been treated with nothing but genuine kindness.  I could live here forever.  I just might, once we get too old to cruise.

Here are some pictures of last night's festivities: 





Again, we had a wonderful time and it is not over yet.  Tonight there is a parade - two of them, actually.  We will be on our own because our friends all have tickets to a dinner and watching platform - we heard about it but didn't get tickets because at the time, we weren't sure what they were talking about.  Once we figured it out, that event was sold out.  So we will head for the streets with everyone else.  Maybe I will climb up on a statue or something like that so as to get a better view!  I knew all the public art was here for a good reason!  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Mexico and the state of Washington have the same ambivalence to fireworks safety! The kids and I would watch the fireworks in Cle Elum Washington while I was getting my Masters. We would sit in the bed of my pickup truck and hold blankets over our heads to protect from the random fallout. Dangerous but fun. Sounds like you are on a wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete