Saturday, January 22, 2011

Last Days at Turtle Bay

We are winding up our stay here in Turtle Bay. While we have been here, at least eight boats have come and gone. Most people only stay here for a night or so while on their way south. They stop here long enough to get more fuel and maybe water, and some sleep. There is not really a lot to actually Do here, but the experience of living at anchor with only limited communication and ability to get supplies has been great. I wasn't really worried about it, since we are campers and sued to taht sort of roughing it, but this is more comfortable than I thought it would be. I don't think I am going to always insist on marinas, even when they are available and reasonable. It is nice to be floating out here, away from everyone, rocking on the water and just feeling peaceful and unworried. Simple things become a lot more interesting and significant. The difference between being at anchor and being in a marina is like the difference between a farm house and a condo. I like wakin gup at night and looking out at the lights on shore. And I cannot remember the last time I heard a jet.

I have completely taken over the galley and Mike is eating very well. In fact, we have had a lot less arguments since I started running it. I really think I needed something I was responsible for, something I was in charge of. It was chafing to feel as though I had to ask permission for absolutely everything. It is still a bit strange and a little lonely for me being away from all my friends and coworkers and family. Anyway, I have learned a lot about cooking at sea. I have been using my pressure cooker, and also experimenting with some local ingredients. There are only a few grocery stores here, and they do not have a lot of different things. Meat is sold out of a bucket in a refrigerator. But we bought some of the best homemade chorizo I have ever tasted. All the tortillas we eat are fresh, and most of the vegetables ( a very limited commodity here) look as though they came from someone's backyard. It is really fun, sort of like learning to cook all over again. The tiny galley is actually pretty efficient. I am enjoying this tremendously - this from me, who usually eats almost every meal out!

When we leave here, we are going to spend a night or so about 50 miles south of here, and then continue on down to a place called Bahia Magdalena, or Mag Bay as she is known to boaters. Then we will likely stop in Cabo, and after that, Mazatlan. I'd like to stay there for awhile. There is an anchorage right smack in the middle of town, so that should be fun - the best of both worlds. I have never been to Mazatlan. After that, who knows? Probably Puerto Vallarta to Acapulco, then back up to the Sea of Cortez for the summer to avoid hurricanes. But none of this is carved in stone. We will go where we feel like going when we feel like going there. That is what this is all about.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kate,
    I found your blog and have caught up with you and where you and Mike are at. It was a fascinating read and I am so proud of you and so amazed at your adventure. I will now figure out how to get this site onto my toolbar. Take care.

    ReplyDelete