Friday, January 28, 2011

Ending Watch

It is 1 am and I am getting off watch. Things are good here on Magda Jean. Mike is finally getting sleep while we are underway like this. I am handling my watch all by myself - changing sails, monitoring other ships, even making course changes on my own. Tonight we were (as usual on this trip) plagued with light, shifty winds. I kept looking at the sails, and figured out that since we were now sailing at a slightly different angle than we had been when the sails were set, that change of angle required a tweaking of the mainsail. I was delighted to add a half a knot to my speed! I am gaining confidence each day.

We will anchor in Santa Maria Cove sometime today. We plan to spend a couple of days there resting up, and then we will head to Cabo San Lucas. I don't expect to spend too much time there - it is too expensive. Our plans after that call for Mazatlan. This Santa Maria Cove is a tiny resting anchorage with only a small fishing village, even smaller than Bahia Tortuga, with no services to speak of.

I think I will go off and get some sleep. Today it was warm enough to wear my bathing suit in the cockpit for awhile, and while on watch, I did not need long underwear or even my foul weather jacket. I wonder how warm it will get tomorrow?

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment