Saturday, April 7, 2018

Fly Season

It's fly season and if there is one creature I hate above almost all else, it is the common fly.  And they are coming in by the droves, and since no one in Costa Rica seems to believe in screens, we fight flys all day long if the door is open.   And the door is always open.  That means lots and lots of flys in the house.

Now I am grateful that we don't seem to have the "circling flys" that we had in San Diego. That is when about 10 of them decide to simply fly around and around in circles.  Not too fast, not too slow, no apparent agenda but to simply circle in the air.  I hate them especially because they are very hard to kill.  They never land on anything.  I would get so frustrated that I would wildly start swinging the fly swatter through the air which is a waste of time and energy because everyone knows it is almost impossible to kill a fly on the wing.

Lately Mike and I have taken turns going on these fly kill sprees.  I've killed 11 during one session, and I have killed two at  a time, no small feat.  Diego the dog does not care for the swinging fly swatter, but since he isn't making any moves to kill the flys himself, he will just have to learn to deal with it.

Flys - a scourge of  life
Destroy the serenity
Of a quiet day

There!  That's my fly hate haiku.  I am too lazy to write a sonnet.  I suppose the answer is to find someone who can make screen doors.  It can't be that hard.  I bet Mike could do it if he wanted to.  But he has enough projects.

Things have been going fine around here, though construction of our pizza oven and patio are at a standstill - we were told there is stuff being held up in customs - I say go deal with it and get my crap so we can get  on with it.  Customs can be very hard to deal with, I know from personal experience.  So while I am sympathetic, I do think something needs to be done, like a personal visit to the office.  That sort of thing often works.

It is still dry season here, and one of the interesting things about the dry season is the explosion of flowering trees.  There are all colors and it is amazing, especially since the landscape is otherwise a bit dry looking.  We have several in the yard.  And we have another tree - lengua de gato - that is covered with little white flowers.  These little white flowers are going to turn into these blue berries that every animal and bird love to eat.  Hopefully Diego will not chase them away yapping infernally.  One can only hope, anyway.

Today is a quiet day, and all I can hear are the birds and the bugs.  Mike and Diego are taking midday naps.  Life is still good.

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."  (Mahatma Gandhi)       

1 comment:

  1. Are you still sailing ? Or is the boat for sale. Let us know what you are doing out there.

    ReplyDelete