Thursday, April 17, 2014

It Looks LIke Rain

April 16, 2014
And believe me, that ought to make Mike stick to our plan of leaving Friday. Rain means the rainy season has begun, along with the lightning that is always present. We have seen a bit of it far, far off, and never coming our way, but a friend of ours north of here is already experiencing it in his area, and that means it is not far off. I have already spent one rainy season here, and I know the feeling when it is about to rain. After being really still (and HOT) a nice cool breeze comes up, and all of a sudden it is more than a breeze and it is a LOT cooler. Then you look up and see the usual suspects when it comes to clouds. So maybe it will and maybe it won't, but I think it is 70/30 in favor of rain. More than clear and convincing but less than beyond a reasonable doubt (I think I still have that right), ha ha ha. Lawyer joke. Anyway, I also washed and hung laundry, which may also add weight to the rainy side of the equation. If it does rain, I hope it pours, and washes everything off with fresh water. Hopefully the clothes will dry enough to take them in before it starts. I have three t shirts out there, and they take a long time to dry.

Yesterday when we were out fishing, we saw a shrimper at anchor, cleaning its catch. We told them we wanted some (weren't catching anything anyway) and raced back to the boat and got some money. For $20 (we had no smaller bills anyway) we got a three gallon bucket chock full of shrimp of all sizes, lobster, and calamari. Of course we shared with the boat here with us - and still spent hours cleaning and processing shellfish. We froze a bunch of shrimp, had lobster for breakfast, and Mike is planning to fix the calamari the way I like it later on. Our friend told another boat (via SSB radio) that we went fishing with a $20 bill! I guess we sort of did, and what a haul it was!!! I never get tired of fish and shellfish, I have learned so many ways to fix it. Keeps our fridge full. I had to remind Mike that the plan is to eat our way through the freezer so when we leave for the states, we won't have to throw stuff away when we turn off the fridge for the trip. So we shouldn't be trying to fill it, but who knew they would give us that much stuff?

Right now it is about 2:30, the hottest part of the day. Mike is taking a nap. There really isn't any work to do, at least none that I want to do. So I think I will sign off now, and monitor the weather situation.

"There is always a period of curious fear between the first sweet-smelling breeze and the time when the rain comes cracking down." (Don DeLillo)

April 17, 2014: It didn't rain.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment