Friday, March 21, 2014

Ramblings From The Boat

One of the interesting things about being in Panama is that it really is the crossroads of the world, as I have probably said before as I know I tend to be repetitive. The only common language is that which belongs to neither of us. When I meet a French boat, they often speak little to no English and I speak no French. But we both speak Spanish. We have met boats from all over, and the only one I did not like was a Russian who was one of the rudest people I have ever met in my entire life.

It has been really windy here at Isla Espiritu Santo for the past couple of days now, and yesterday saw rough seas as well. Today is still really windy - after watching a panga struggle against the wind and the still active seas, we decided not to go fishing today. Yesterday our friends (who arrived in the anchorage a couple of days ago), treated us to a complete American/Canadian turkey dinner with all the trimmings, as they say. (Who are they anyway and why do we keep repeating the things they say?) There was even apple pie! I ate so much I was almost sick. And then today they gave us half the turkey carcass and I made some wonderful soup. I do think Mike and I have become really good soup makers. Mike has been perfecting different bean soups, which suits me just fine because I love bean soup. Anyway, these people have become great friends, and we will miss them when we head off to Ecuador. They are braving the lightning and staying here for the rainy season. They were in Ecuador this past season, and from everything they tell me, I am going to love it. It is not hot like here, though, so I may have to buy some jeans when I come back to the states. All the women down here tend to wear those skin tight leggings like jeans, and heaven knows that would not be a good idea for me. We might actually have to use a blanket at night - or at least a cover sheet.

We just found out that some friends of ours that we met in El Salvador are selling their boat and moving to land. They plan to live somewhere down here, I am not sure where, and do volunteer work. I feel kind of bad about it, but also kind of not, since I know things were difficult for the woman. It was not her milieu, the boat was small and did not have refrigeration and some of the electronics that we have that make things easier for us. And she also never got over being seasick often. That is not any fun, and I do know others that have had to give up the sailing life because of seasickness that does not respond to the various medications. Many people are sick at times, myself included, but only under unusual conditions, and it does respond to medications. I have some from Mexico that is amazing. So if there is anyone out there who wants to come and see us but is worried about seasickness, worry no more, that medication will fix you up just fine. So I will miss these people, but where ever they are going to be living, I hope I can visit them. That is one thing about this life - just when you get to know someone and really start to like them, one of you leaves for somewhere else. But there is also the thrill of running into old friends in new, strange places. That is the good part.

I have been reading the Lonely Planet guide for Ecuador, and am more excited than ever to go there. It seems like we could spend years there and not see everything. There are so many things about South America that fill me with excitement, and I feel like I used to feel when my dad took me to the fair as a kid. I looked forward to it all summer and I was never disappointed.

Ok, I am starting to ramble on, like it's the first time that ever happened, ha ha ha. Mike has gone to bed, and I am going to read for awhile before I join him. The moon is waning hard, and it is a really really dark, windy night. I love it like this.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst." (William Penn)

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment