Thursday, January 16, 2014

More Fish

Ok, it was only one more fish, but it was a 35 pound white sea bass. It fought hard, but I brought it in. I could have fed the anchorage once it was cleaned, but Mike refused to share it, stating it was too good. I know it is good. We caught an even bigger one in Mazatlan, and that one fed five boats plus us, as well as giving half of it pre-cleaned)to the guys on the dock. The only reason Mike was willing to give it away that time was because we were leaving in two days for the US and could not possibly eat it all. So now we have five meals of fabulous fillets, at least 2 and maybe 3 meals of fried fish fingers, all in the freezer, as well as three more meals from the back of the fish, which are in the fridge. After we (Mike) filleted it, we discovered that the back had a lot of meat on it. So we kept it, cut it into four frying pan sized pieces, and last night we cooked one. I fried it in olive oil with onions and garlic. We just put it on a plate and picked all the meat off the bones and it was delicious.

Today we are not going to fish because it is too windy and the water is too rough. Tomorrow we are supposed to move to a new anchorage - not new, actually, as we have been there before, but different. A boat that is becoming a friend is there, and has invited us to join them. I like it there, and it has the added advantage of having internet access, as the signal from a tower on a populated island is not blocked by hills, as it is here. Of course the downside to having internet access is that we have to actually take care of business. If this wind keeps up, we should be able to not only sail all the way, but to sail pretty darn fast.

Otherwise (as usual) there is not a lot of real news to report. We are both fine and doing well, no health problems. I am having continuing problems with a tooth, and since I have already been to one dentist twice with no permanent relief, I may have to find another one. I think I need a root canal. It started acting up really bad while we were in the jungle, and it hurt so much I had a hard time keeping Mike from finding out. I knew he would want to leave right away and head for the city and dental treatment, but I had been there before and figured I could keep it at least to a tolerable level until we were ready to leave anyway. It was turning into a real bummer - taking aspirin a million times a day, but finally I found some antibiotics that had not expired, and started taking those, as well as some 800 mg ibuprophen that had expired but oh well. Within about four days I was pain free, and Mike still does not know anything went wrong. But I can't count on that again, so I need it taken care of. We plan to make a city visit in a week or so, and that will be fine. I am rather proud of myself for handling it so well.

I was thinking the other day that we are beginning our fourth year out here - we left San Diego in late November 2010. I have been places and done things I never thought I would (or could, for that matter) do. While it has not all been paradise (the constant breakdowns start to wear on even the hardiest soul) I would not trade this experience for anything. And there is so much more to come! I have been dreaming of South America ever since I was a little girl. When I was in high school, we had an exchange student from Argentina. I was dying to talk to him, but he was super cute and I was way too intimidated by his good looks to say anything to him. I don't even remember his name. There was another kid in high school who was also interested in Latin America. I had a crush on him too, but as usual at that age I said nothing. (Him I might have had a chance with, too bad.) He was spending a lot of time trying to reconcile Catholicism with Marxism, which he believed was the only real answer for Latin America. I think that is now called Liberation Theology. Anyway, I wonder what became of him. When you have a lot of time on your hands, like I do now, you think of all sorts of random things. Luckily for me, I can amuse myself for hours just thinking about things. Maybe that is why I do well with night watches.

So that will be it for today. I am considering making brownies as a treat for Mike, especially since I have all the stuff, including walnuts. Why not? It is not as though it will cut into my busy schedule!

"The biggest adventure you can take is to live the life of your dreams." (Oprah Winfrey)

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment