Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Perfect Times

We left Panama City June 28 (Friday) and sailed out to Isla Mogo Mogo, in the Las Perlas Islands. We plan to spend some time out here, and then take off for Ecuador.

First, some sad news though - our dog Tempest has passed away. If there is a heaven or anything like that, I expect to see Tempest running to greet me when I arrive. She was very well cared for through her dotage by a dear dear friend who probably cared for her better than we ever did. My friend told me that when she realized the time had come, she took Tempest on a car ride (which she loved), and allowed her to eat a package of powdered sugar donuts (which she was allergic to but loved even more than a car ride). She had Tempest in her arms when Tempest left us. I am heartbroken, but at the same time, I was ready for it. Mike and I have been talking a lot about her lately, especially about how she was getting pretty old (14 years old in people years) and likely did not have too much time left. We feel badly for our friend, and can never fully express our gratitude to her.

Our sail here to the island was good and bad - not really bad, except for the interminable last five miles. The whole trip is about 35 miles or so, and for most of the day we had great winds and an almost ideal sail. The only problem - not really a problem - was that it was raining for a good part of it. And there is really no place in our cockpit to stay dry, as we don't have a pilot house. The only cover is the bimini top and the solar panels, which do little or nothing to keep out anything but a light rain. So that can be sort of unpleasant, even though we have slickers and it is not particularly cold. At the end of the trip, we came across a contrary current that dropped our speed to practically nothing and not even the engine helped much. So it took hours to go the last five miles. When we got here, it had pretty much stopped. The seas were a bit rough our first night here at anchor, but since then, the anchorage has been idyllic. We made water, cleaned the boat's waterline, and just lazed around. TOday we plan to take the dinghy over to the island itself, since it seems as though they are not using it for Survivor. So we will hike around and see what is there.

The last couple of nights here have been everything you dream about when setting off to cruise - the deserted anchorage, the white sand beach, the turquoise and sapphire colors in the water, the reef fish, and the sunsets while sitting on the deck sipping a beer - we have it all right here, right now. It is rainy today, which may put a crimp in our plans to visit the island. Though we have had rain, we have had no lightning close enough to make us nervous. I sent for a new cookbook, and have been spending time just looking through it, thinking about things I might like to make. I did not have a really good, comprehensive cookbook, and I like to leaf through them for ideas about what to fix for dinner, and for sheer entertainment. Otherwise, I can never think of anything new and just make the same things over and over again.

Even though I am really looking forward to going to Ecuador, I have some trepidation. We have to go way out of our way due to contrary winds and currents, and two different boats had to turn back due to damage to their boats. I know we are going to spend at least several days bashing to windward, which is really uncomfortable, especially with confused, sloppy seas. So that is what we are looking at, and while I know it won't be fun, I am really trying to consider it a challenge to be met and overcome, not something to be simply endured. I hope I can keep Mike from getting cranky, and hope he can get enough sleep in those conditions. But I really want to get underway - I am so excited at the thought of Crossing the Equator, and being on a new continent (South America). I feel like I am starting a new leg in this on-going adventure I embarked upon in November of 2010, when we left our marina slip in San Diego and headed for Mexico. So far this trip has taken me to six countries. I have covered I don't know how many sea miles. I have seen whales, dolphins, fish of all sorts, birds of all sorts, monkeys, sloths, agoutis, and many more animals and other wild life. We have slept in luxury hotels and jungle shacks, eaten gourmet meals and feasted on rodent as well. Now it is time for something new.

So from now on, I will pretty much be away from the internet, but I can still make these posts through the SSB radio - and by the way, I am a regular "Net Controller" on one of the cruiser's radio networks we have here. It is a lot of fun, and has given us an opportunity to track the people ahead of us who are on their way to Ecuador. We know who took a good route, and who misjudged the route. If anyone needs to contact me, use WDF5496@sailmail.com. Don't send pictures or attachments, and no forwards. We should be here in the islands for another week, and then we should be underway. That is the plan, anyway, and as is the way with sailing, always subject to change without warning.

"Love reaches its full potential when feedback is given compassionately, received with generosity, and changes are made with grace." (Virginia Gleser)

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment