Monday, June 10, 2013

Islas Las Perlas

We are currently at anchor in the Las Perlas, an island chain off Panama City.  It is truly having the best of both worlds - these islands are beautiful, many uninhabited, with clear, warm water and lots of fish.  There are reefs to snorkel over and trials to hike.  And on the other hand, one is only about 35 miles from all that Panama City has to offer.  I have some pictures to post, but the internet where we are currently anchored is too slow to get that job done. So today it will be words only.

The first island we anchored off was Isla Contadora.  This one is not uninhabited - in fact, it is chock full of absolutely gorgeous houses.  This is where Noriega used to hold meetings with international leaders, and the current administration may do so as well.  There were some hotels, some restaurants (we had one really good meal ashore) and a few shops.  There was a small tienda where we were able to top off our beer supply (always a priority).

After a few days at Contadora, we anchored between two islands - Isla Chapera and Isla Mogo Mogo (love that name).  Mogo Mogo is where three episodes of "Survivor" was filmed, and right now they are filming the Turkish version thereof at the same location.  We have seen pangas coming to and fro, carrying Turkish-looking people back and forth.  Today a sad looking guy was ferried by - maybe he was voted off.  I have only seen that show once - when a friend of my sister's was a contestant.  She got voted off the first episode, so I refused to ever watch it again.  (I am nothing if not loyal).  Also, the contestants seem to be mean and treacherous.  We went swimming yesterday off a gorgeous little beach with crystal clear water, and it was fantastic.  I did get a bit sunburn, something I am really careful about normally, but it isn't too bad and I have aloe vera gel to help with it.  Today it is overcast, so when we leave to go fishing in the dinghy, I will still be careful and wear a big T-shirt.  Hopefully we will have fresh fish for dinner, but one never knows.  The best way to ensure a catch is to take something out of the freezer and thaw it for dinner.    

It is REALLY humid here in Panama.  Way more so than either Mexico or El Salvador (which I did not think was possible).  We have to oil down the wood somewhere in the cabin almost every single day to keep the growth of mold away.  It isn't a gross black mold or something hazardous to ones health, but it looks like dust and would probably cause some sort of problem if allowed to grow unchecked.  It rains almost every day, at least for a little while.  I don't mind that - I love rain - but it gets kind of hot in the cabin when the hatches all have to be closed.  But the decks sure are clean, and we have been drinking collected rainwater, which is an awesome way to live.  Plus, in bed, my head is directly under a hatch, so the minute it starts to rain at night, I wake up immediately.  This way we can leave everything open at night without worrying that things inside will get soaked before someone wakes up and shuts the hatches.

The only concern about things here is that there is a LOT of lightning.  I mean a lot, almost every day even if it doesn't rain.  We have heard that a substantial number of boats here were struck by lightning last season, and that is a matter for concern.  If that happens, we lose all of our electronics.  When the lightning gets bad, we take the computer and the hand held GPS and put them in the oven.  There is a name for this - a something chamber - and supposedly it will protect the stuff inside.  Even if the computers are turned off and not plugged in, the lightning will still get them if they are not in that chamber.  So hence the hiding place.  I have long contented myself with the fantasy that because we are never the tallest mast in the anchorage, we are safe.  Mike says that is not true.  I really have no idea, I got that thought from when people put lightning rods in their yards.  If we do get struck, we are insured and our losses would be covered, although it would be months of hassle and we would have to stay here until we got things fixed.  Plus I am sure they would raise our already substantial rates.  Most people we know don't carry insurance due to the high rates, but we feel much better having it.  Currently we are covered all the way to the Ecuador-Peruvian border, but we will have to change things soon, as we plan to sail to Peru this year.  Thank goodness this can all be done via internet.  I really can't imagine how difficult extended cruising was before the internet and ATMs.       

In a few days, we will go back to Panama City and collect some mail, and especially 300 feet of new anchor chain.  It is badly needed - our current chain is old and rusty.  I am willing to bet it came with the boat when she was first built 30 odd years ago.  We are also going to have the fumigator back as recommended.  There are still a few roaches showing up, and the fumigator told me we needed to do it again in a month or so after the first time.  We have plenty of bug spray, and have been liberal with its usage.  As a result of our efforts, there are a fraction of what there were before.  It makes everything better.  I hate those things and I always will, I have no mercy.  The only good roach is a dead roach. 

So anyway, that will be it for now.  Things are fine in general, but for awhile now I have been missing my family a lot and would really like to go for a visit.  I miss my son, my siblings, and my stepmother.  Again, thank goodness for the internet - I would be a lot more miserable if I couldn't at least hear from people I care about.  But life is good here in the tropics, and I am really enjoying Panama.  We had heard that people here are not friendly,  but that is not true at all, at least in our experience.  So Viva Panama!  I am loving it here.

"It's a sad day when you find out that it's not accident or time or fortune, but just yourself that kept things from you." (Lillian Hellman)

   



     

















 

No comments:

Post a Comment