Monday, February 27, 2012

Chiapas!

I really think that if I had to die right now, right this second, I would be okay with it.  We are in Chiapas state, in an actual jungle, in a remote hotel.  There is live music in a restaurant about 100 yards from my room, and I can't hear it because of the noise from the jungle critters.  There are crickets and cicadas, and that is just what I can identify.  It is truly unbelievable.

Today we left Coatzacoalcos in the morning, and headed southeast, through the state of Tabasco and into Chiapas.  We went from lowlands into hilly, jungle territory.  The brush is very thick, with wide leafed plants and tall trees that have vines growing up all over them.  The air is humid, and luckily for me, not too terribly hot. 

When we were driving today, we passed lakes, ponds, rivers, streams, creeks and every other kind of body of water imaginable.  To top it off, when we got to the place we are staying (near the Maya runis of Palenque) it began to rain really hard.  What a treat! I have not experienced any real rain since a short squall in the Sea of Cortes (that I could not enjoy as it was accompained by50+ knot winds, which terrified me) and one short rain while anchored in San Carlos.  This was real rain, no need to worry about boats being struck by lightning or anything like that.  We ate at an outdoor restaurant next to a creek with a waterfall.  What more could I want?  I would try and post pictures - I did take them this time - but I have a really slow internet connection so it will have to wait. 

Before we left Coatzacoalcos, we went wading in the Gulf of Mexico.  And I can say that I have been to at least 14 of the Mexican states.  Now I want to stay here longer and travel throughout the inland area I missed.   But since we are leaving for Central America, I will just have to come back.

I saw a movie the other night - "Out Idiot Brother".  Ignore the title and see it.  It is not exactly a landmark of American cinema, but it made me feel good.  And we can all use more of that.

My sister is running for state assembly in Wisconsin.  I am so proud of her I can hardly stand it.  She is very brave - I fear the opposition will try and hurt her badly but I think she is tough enough to take it. Politics is vicious these days and I do not want harm to come to her.  It is all about hitting below the belt.  I know I could not do it.  Check her out on google - Elizabeth Riley for Assembly.  Go Buffy!!!!!!!       

No comments:

Post a Comment