Monday, September 6, 2010

Playing with the radio

Mike finished hooking up one of the radios last night, so we got to listen to it.  It is the VHF radio - it has a short range and is used to call for help in emergencies or just to contact people.  There is a hailing and emergency channel, and if people want to talk, they switch to a different channel.  It is a lot like using a CB, except only the worst sort of rube would say "breaker  breaker."  I am really glad I was told that before I did it, which I likely would have.  My dad had a Cb radio in his car in the 70s, and my sister and I would drive around in it talking to truck drivers.  Her "handle" was Godzilla and mine was Belladonna. 

We are not going to give up so easily on Tempest.  We are exploring ways to make her dog ramp better.  I can't bear the thought that she would not be put to bed at night under a blanket.

Tomorrow the fuel tank guys come to clean and polish the fuel and to clean the tank - and also to let us know if there are any problems with the fuel tank.  I fervently hope there are none - that would be an expensive fix.  I never had a high tolerance for spending lots of money - and this is testing my limits like nothing before.

There isn't much to report these days - just that I want all these repairs and upgrades to be DONE so we can just sail.  And get the hell out of Dodge.  I do not miss TV and am burnt out on politics and people's general stupidity and meanness and selfishness - there, it is out of my system.  Why do people have to be so mean?  It is not a virtue of any sort.  Did that start with Reagen or Cotton Mather? 

1 comment:

  1. Do you really want to start a conversation with an answer to the question: "Did it start with Reagan or Cotton Mather"? I love reading your blog, Katie! Please add some pictures so we can all see you! Also, keep in mind that I will be in Southern Belize from January 7-15. The 16-17 I will be in the northern part--Caye Caulker, to be exact. Come see me!

    ReplyDelete