Monday, February 23, 2015

Here in Limbo . . .

Which is where we are until we can get this boat hauled out and determine the amount of damage she has actually suffered. The skeg itself can likely be a pretty easy fix IF we can find someone here in Panama who does fiberglass work and that should be pretty easy. Our concern is that the skeg is really strong and the force it took to break it off may have damaged the integrity of the hull itself. The best way to explain it would be as of there had been an earthquake that did some noticeable damage, but in actuality damaged the foundations as well. And the purpose of the skeg is to protect the rudder itself from damage, and it did it's job there, but now that is partly missing, the rudder is no longer protected. So that is where we are and what we are waiting for.

We are still in these gorgeous islands, swimming, beach combing, and trying to catch some fish, although my fishing luck this year has been terrible. I will keep trying. Tomorrow we leave for Panama City, as our crew member, Anya, is leaving the boat and I will miss her. We had a lot of fun together, and I loved having another woman around. I have learned that having crew changes the dynamic of the boat. It has been interesting.

Two days ago the three of us boarded a friend's boat, and the five of us sailed off to another island for the day. This island has a store on it (albeit with a very limited, expensive selection)and all of us were able to obtain more beer, eggs, and produce. We also got some frozen pork chops! It was great fun to sail on someone else's boat. In fact, I love riding on a boat when I am not responsible for it. Being a passenger is great fun. It is also very interesting and educational to see how different types of boats sail. This particular boat seemed very easy to sail, or maybe it was because our friend is so skilled at handling it. It was a ketch, with a center cockpit. I liked it.

There really isn't anything more to report, news-wise. We are fine and healthy. Lots of our time right now is spent trying to plan for each and every scenario that could arise depending on what happens with the boat. To top that off, we were, even before the damage was discovered, thinking about selling this boat and getting a different one. Things are up in the air, and that is exciting but also stress inducing. It is really hard and uncomfortable for me to have to just sit and wait and let things unfold. I want to come up with a solution NOW!!! But I can't and I just have to deal with that, and not get crabby about it.

Since it is close to my birthday, I always use this time of year to reflect on me and what I want for my life. I know that sounds self centered, and I even sort of cringe when I read it. But it is my life, and while I do not ignore the needs of the other people in my life, I need to know what I want for myself. I do feel that everyone has a basic right to consider their own wants as long as the needs of others are not trampled on. I know I seem to be the sort of person who has no problem standing up for myself, but in truth I am full of hot air and not nearly as together as I present myself. (Of course, there is always a good chance that I am way off base and everyone knows what a wimp I am.) But as I get older, and realize that I have outlived my mom and will have outlived my dad in seven years, it is starting to occur to me that I really only have a certain amount of time left. I do not want to waste it, and part of not wanting to waste it is realizing that I better think about what I want so I do not waste the time I have left thinking no problem, maybe some other time. There is no "some other time". There is only now. So I need to step up and take care of my own needs and wants. Nobody is going to read my mind and drop something into my lap, so to speak.

Anyway, enough of that sort of nonsense. I am here in these beautiful islands and I will enjoy them while I am here. I will also enjoy what Panama City has to offer me, and I do not hate cities like Mike does. To compare the islands and the cities is the height of apples and oranges and I will not do so. I like them both. So on I go.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment